Riemann Hypothesis: Exploring Unsolved Mysteries

In summary, the conversation discusses the Riemann hypothesis and its relation to the Riemann zeta function. It is mentioned that the hypothesis has not yet been proven and there are different theories as to why, such as not knowing why re(s) has to be 1/2 or not knowing how to prove it. The function is also discussed, with questions about its behavior and the potential connection to prime numbers. It is noted that the function satisfies a reflection equation and that a certain surface with geodesic lengths equal to primes could potentially help prove the hypothesis. The conversation also mentions knowing that a positive proportion of zeros are on the critical line, but there is no general method to determine the exact percentage. The conversation ends with a
epkid08
I have two questions:

Why hasn't the hypothesis been proved yet? Is it because we don't know why re(s) has to be 1/2 and thus can't prove it, or is it because we know why re(s) has to be 1/2 but we just don't know how to prove it.

Why exactly does re(s) have to be 1/2?

[tex] \zeta (s)=1/(1-2^(1-s)) \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}1/(2^(n+1)) \sum_{k=0}^{n} (-1)^k (n ; k) (k+1)^{-s} [/tex]

If re(s) is greater than 0, and if im(s) is any real number, doesn't the function always converge to zero? In the above equation, as k approaches infinity, the denominator of the term, [tex](k+1)^{1-s}[/tex], always approaches infinity, for any value of re(s)>0, which in turn, has the series approaching zero, always. Please help me understand where I am wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
epkid08 said:
[tex] \zeta (s)=1/(1-2^(1-s)) \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}1/(2^(n+1)) \sum_{k=0}^{n} (-1)^k (n ; k) (k+1)^{-s} [/tex]

If re(s) is greater than 0, and if im(s) is any real number, doesn't the function always converge to zero? In the above equation, as k approaches infinity, the denominator of the term, [tex](k+1)^{1-s}[/tex], always approaches infinity, for any value of re(s)>0, which in turn, has the series approaching zero, always. Please help me understand where I am wrong.

That the terms decrease in magnitude means that the sum (possibly) converges, not that its value is zero. [itex]\zeta(1/4)=-0.81\ldots\neq0,\zeta(1/4 + i)=0.0438\ldots-0.5600\ldots i\neq0.[/itex]

Riemann Zeta satisfies a 'reflection' equation [tex] \zeta (1-s) = \xi (s) \zeta(s) [/tex]

so if s is a zero then 1-s is also another zero (exceptions are -2,-4,-6,.....)

if all the zeros have real part 1/2 many math applications become simpler.

Selberg proved that a zeta function running over the lenghts of Geodesics had the zeros

[tex] \lamda = s(s-1) [/tex] with 'lambda' an eigenvalue of a Laplacian, then since the eigenvalues are real s=1/2+ir r=real ---> RH is true.

it would be enough finding a certain surface whose geodesic length equal primes.

i do not know if Selberg Zeta has a functional equation, Selberg Trace is a generalization of Poisson summation formula and Riemann Zeta functional equation can be proved using Poisson summation formula.

We know that the non trivial zeros must have 0<Re(s)<1 but that's about it. We have many examples of zeros with Re(s)=1/2 and in fact is has been proven that there infinitely many zeros with that property. However we still haven't proved that you can't have a zero with 0<Re(s)<1 but Re(s) not equal to 1/2.

Tzar said:
We know that the non trivial zeros must have 0<Re(s)<1 but that's about it. We have many examples of zeros with Re(s)=1/2 and in fact is has been proven that there infinitely many zeros with that property. However we still haven't proved that you can't have a zero with 0<Re(s)<1 but Re(s) not equal to 1/2.

I think we even know that a positive proportion (40%) of zeros are on the line.

I always felt curious about that.. how can you know that the 40 % 30 % or even larger number of zeros are on the line Re(1/2) is there a general method to say if X is true then an Y % of zeros have real part 1/2 .

Perhaps is related to the density of Lehmer Zeros ??

CRGreathouse said:
I think we even know that a positive proportion (40%) of zeros are on the line.
You probably mean at least 40% then :) I think I heard of that result as well. I would assume that the proof would need to be heavily combinatorial, but if someone knows more, please tell us!

CRGreathouse you might also find the following results interesting:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/VisiblePoint.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Tzar said:
You probably mean at least 40% then :)

I said that 40% of the nontrivial zeros were on the critical line. I didn't make any claim about the 60%.

oh ok sorry

I'm just reading Du Sautoy's The music of the Primes now and there's something I'm curious about. Are the corrections to Riemann's function for counting the number of primes in a given interval- which can apparently be used to predict exactly how many primes one will find up to a certain number- conditional on the truth of the Riemann hypothesis or not? It's not always clear in the book what Riemann proved in that paper and what he didn't.

Riemann's explicit formula (the "correction" you mention) is not dependent on the RH. But we also can't use it for proven calculation, since it's only true for an infinite number of zeros. Heuristically, just using a few zeros seems to help a lot, but there's no proof (that I know of) that this helps at all in an asymptotic sense.

Sorry... we can't use it for proven calculation of what?

Values of pi(x) or theta(x), of course.

what is theta(x)?

CRGreathouse said:
Values of pi(x) or theta(x), of course.

That's what I thought you meant, but it didn't make sense to me that that could be the case at the time! Having re-read the relevant pages and trying to get past the extended metaphor, is it the case that
  • Each zero makes a contribution to the number of primes yielded by pi(n)
  • It can be proven that pi(n) will yield the correct number of primes, given the correct input of zeroes of the Riemann zeta function
  • It presently appears that the right answers are yielded by an input of zeros consistent with the Riemann hypothesis?

pi(n) *is* the answer. Using a finite number of zeta zeros the answer can be approximated. Using an infinite number yields the true value. For small numbers (< 10^23, say) pi can be computed directly, of course.

Here, read this page and see if it helps. It uses Psi instead of pi or theta, but the point is the same.
http://www.math.ucsb.edu/~stopple/explicit.html

Yes, that clears things up. Thanks!

1. What is the Riemann Hypothesis?

The Riemann Hypothesis is a conjecture in mathematics that states all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line of 1/2. In simpler terms, it proposes a relationship between the distribution of prime numbers and the behavior of the Riemann zeta function.

2. Why is the Riemann Hypothesis considered an unsolved mystery?

The Riemann Hypothesis has been one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics for over 160 years. Despite numerous attempts by mathematicians to prove or disprove it, no one has been able to provide a definitive answer to this conjecture.

3. What implications would a proof or disproof of the Riemann Hypothesis have?

A proof of the Riemann Hypothesis would have far-reaching implications in various fields of mathematics, including number theory, algebra, and analysis. It would also have practical applications, such as improving cryptography and understanding the distribution of prime numbers.

4. What progress has been made towards solving the Riemann Hypothesis?

Over the years, many mathematicians have attempted to prove or disprove the Riemann Hypothesis. Some notable progress has been made, such as the proof of the Prime Number Theorem, which is closely related to the Riemann Hypothesis. However, the conjecture still remains unsolved.

5. Are there any consequences if the Riemann Hypothesis is proven to be false?

If the Riemann Hypothesis is proven to be false, it would mean that the distribution of prime numbers is not related to the behavior of the Riemann zeta function. This could lead to a better understanding of prime numbers and potentially new techniques for solving other mathematical problems.