Showing the Kneser graph is vertex transitive

Therefore, KG(n:k) is both vertex transitive and arc transitive. In summary, the kneser graph KG(n:k) is a graph with vertices representing all k-subsets of {1, 2, ..., n} and edges connecting vertices that are disjoint. It is both vertex transitive and arc transitive, meaning that for any two vertices or pairs of vertices, there exists an automorphism that maps one to the other.
a1010711

Homework Statement

the kneser graph KG(n:k) is the graph whose vertices are all of the k-subsets of {1,2,...,n} with 2 vertices beign adjacent if they are disjoint.

show KG(n:k) is vertex transitive

Homework Equations

a graph G is vertex transitive if for any 2 vertices x,y in G, there is an automorphism f:X-->Y st f(x)=y

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the aut exists, but how do i show its bijective?

if i find the aut i can show that a permutation does exist so that f(x)= y
so f(x1,...,xk) = (y1,...,yn)

let my permutation be Z that map all the x's to all the y's

Z (x1...xk others not x )
(y1...yk others not y)

please guide me through this, I am confused..

i also need to show its arc transitive:
so for ex given any 2 pairs of vertices (say u1,v1 u2,v2) there is an aut f:v(g)-->v(g) such that f(u1)=u2 and f(v1)=u2

Physics news on Phys.org

To show that a graph is vertex transitive, we need to show that for any two vertices x and y, there exists an automorphism f that maps x to y. In this case, we can define our automorphism f as follows:

Let x = {x1, x2, ..., xk} and y = {y1, y2, ..., yk} be two vertices in KG(n:k). We can define f as a permutation that maps each element in x to the corresponding element in y. In other words, f(x1) = y1, f(x2) = y2, ..., f(xk) = yk.

To show that this is a bijective mapping, we can note that since x and y are both k-subsets of {1, 2, ..., n}, they both have the same number of elements (k). Therefore, each element in x will be mapped to a unique element in y, and vice versa. This shows that f is a bijection, and thus an automorphism.

To show that KG(n:k) is arc transitive, we need to show that for any two pairs of vertices (u1, v1) and (u2, v2), there exists an automorphism f that maps (u1, v1) to (u2, v2). We can use a similar approach as above, defining f as a permutation that maps each element in u1 to the corresponding element in u2, and each element in v1 to the corresponding element in v2. This will again be a bijection, showing that KG(n:k) is also arc transitive.

1. What is the Kneser graph?

The Kneser graph is a mathematical structure that represents the relationships between subsets of a larger set. It was first studied by mathematician Martin Kneser in 1955.

2. What does it mean for a graph to be vertex transitive?

A vertex transitive graph is one in which every vertex can be mapped to any other vertex by a symmetry of the graph. This means that the graph looks the same from every vertex, and there is no preferred starting point or direction.

3. Why is it important to show that the Kneser graph is vertex transitive?

Proving that the Kneser graph is vertex transitive is important because it helps us understand the symmetries and structure of the graph. This can lead to insights and applications in various areas of mathematics and computer science.

4. How is it proven that the Kneser graph is vertex transitive?

To show that the Kneser graph is vertex transitive, we must demonstrate that for any two vertices, there exists a symmetry or isomorphism of the graph that maps one vertex to the other. This can be done using combinatorial arguments and group theory.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the Kneser graph?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for the Kneser graph. It has been used in coding theory, graph coloring, and network analysis, among other areas. Additionally, the concept of vertex transitivity has been applied in fields such as chemistry and physics.