Exploring Career Options: Auditing as an Alternative

In summary, pursuing additional degrees or courses while holding an administrative position or having a job is not uncommon. Some institutions even allow faculty to take classes for free. However, as one becomes busier in their job, finding time for additional courses can be challenging. Yet, there is value in continuously learning new things, regardless of job status. In the UK, a PhD is not required to be a lecturer, but some choose to pursue it in their spare time for personal and career growth. Additionally, taking courses in different fields can lead to new opportunities in university management or interdisciplinary collaborations.
ForMyThunder
I guess that would be kinda pointless seeing as you already have a job. But can you still audit?

Physics news on Phys.org

Why not?

When I was in graduate school, the Department Chair earned a MS degree in (IIRC) aerospace engineering. Also, many institutions allow faculty to take (some number of) classes for free every semester.

It's also not unheard of for people to pursue business degrees like MBAs just before of during their tenure in administrative positions - particularly if they have a desire to go a little further on the administrative level.

In general though, by the time you get to that point, you're pretty busy to sit down for an entire course, much less another degree.

There comes a time when you study new things because you are want to learn about them, not because you want a piece of paper saying you studied them.

And if you think "having a job" = "you don't need to learn anything new for the rest of your life", dream on.

I figured "having a job"="you don't really need another piece of paper."

Yep...I'm with the "why not" crowd... as long as it doesn't distract you much from doing your job...'

In the UK you don't need a PhD to be a lecturer (= US professor) - at least in shortage subjects (IT) - but to "advance" you do. I've known many lecturers who have done PhDs in their spare time. It was well worth it for them. I've known some who have done MBAs - though not much use unless you actually want to move into business... I've know others do conversion courses to move into other areas (e.g. MSc IT to get IT lecturing jobs!)

Some professors should take their chances on this. Theorists could be more industry-related by taking Engineering or Applied Sciences courses. There are also opportunities in University Management or starting relations with other areas, as EE + Medicine = Biomedical Engineering.

1. What is auditing?

Auditing is the process of examining and analyzing financial records, statements, and transactions of a company or organization to ensure accuracy and compliance with laws and regulations. It is often associated with the accounting field, but can also be applied to other areas such as quality management and information systems.

2. What skills are needed to become an auditor?

Some important skills for auditors include strong analytical and critical thinking abilities, attention to detail, communication and interpersonal skills, and knowledge of relevant laws and regulations. Familiarity with accounting and financial principles is also necessary.

3. How is auditing different from accounting?

While both auditing and accounting involve examining financial records, the main difference is that auditors are independent and objective, whereas accountants are typically employed by the company they are working for. Auditors also focus on verifying the accuracy of financial information, while accountants are responsible for preparing and maintaining financial records.

4. What career opportunities are available in auditing?

Auditing offers a variety of career paths, including internal audit positions within a company, external audit roles at accounting firms, and government auditor positions. Auditors can also specialize in certain industries or areas, such as healthcare, information technology, or environmental auditing.

5. How can I prepare for a career in auditing?

To prepare for a career in auditing, it is important to have a strong educational background in accounting, finance, or a related field. Gaining experience through internships or entry-level positions in accounting or auditing can also be beneficial. Additionally, obtaining certifications such as the Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) can enhance job prospects and demonstrate expertise in the field.