Change in rate of a man's shadow length

In summary, the problem involves a man walking along the edge of a road which is 8m wide and a street light situated on the other side of the road. Using similar triangles, the man's shadow is represented by s and can be written in terms of x, the distance he has walked. Taking the derivative of s with respect to time, the answer is found to be 0.4242640687 or 3/(5sqrt(2)).
Glissando

Homework Statement

A man 1.8m tall walks at 1.5m/s along the edge of a road which is 8m wide. A street light 6.3m high is situated on the other side of the road. How fast is the length of the man's shadow changing when he is 8m past the point on the road opposite the light?

Homework Equations

Similar triangles

The Attempt at a Solution

**I'm not sure if I have the picture correct. I drew a big right triangle with one side being 6.3 and the bottom being x and y (I don't think the 8m plays a role in this question?) and I drew a smaller triangle in side and put in 1.8m.

1.8/x = 6.3/ (x+y)
1.8x + 1.8y = 6.3x
1.8y = 4.5x
1.8dy/dx = 4.5 (1.5)
dy/dx = 3.75

The answer is supposed to be 3/(5sqrt(2))

Thank you (:

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you please show that drawing?

ehild

This is such a nice problem, I would not like to let it submerged. Here is the picture, imagine it in 3D. "s" is the length of the shadow when the man (M) has walked x=1.5 t distance from the place opposite to the lamp post L. Write s in terms of x and take the derivative with respect to time.

ehild

Attachments

• shadow.JPG
    shadow.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 478
Hey guys,

Thank you for the help (: I've solved it as follows:

1.8/s = 6.3/(d+s), d = sqrt(x^2+64)
6.3s = 1.8(x^2+64)^.5 + 1.8s
4.5s = 1.8(x^2 +64)^.5
4.5 ds/dt = 0.9(x^2+64)^-.5(2x)(dx/dt)
4.5 ds/dt = 0.9(8^2 + 64)^-.5(2*8) (1.5)
ds/dt = 0.4242640687 = 3/(5sqrt(2))

Thanks once again (:

What causes a change in the rate of a man's shadow length?

The rate of a man's shadow length changes due to the position of the sun in the sky. As the sun moves throughout the day, the angle of the sunlight hitting the man and casting his shadow changes, causing the length of the shadow to change as well.

Why does the rate of a man's shadow length change throughout the day?

The rate of a man's shadow length changes throughout the day because the sun's position in the sky changes. As the sun rises and sets, the angle of the sunlight hitting the man changes, resulting in a change in the length of his shadow.

How does the change in rate of a man's shadow length affect the time of day?

The change in rate of a man's shadow length can be used as a rough estimate of the time of day. The length of a man's shadow is longest when the sun is low in the sky (morning or evening) and shortest when the sun is directly overhead (midday).

Can the rate of a man's shadow length be used to determine the man's location on Earth?

No, the rate of a man's shadow length is affected by the position of the sun in the sky, not his location on Earth. However, it can be used to determine the approximate latitude of the man's location, as the angle of the sun's rays will be steeper at higher latitudes.

How does the rate of a man's shadow length change during different seasons?

The rate of a man's shadow length can change during different seasons due to the tilt of the Earth's axis. In the Northern Hemisphere, during summer the sun is higher in the sky and casts shorter shadows, while in winter the sun is lower in the sky and casts longer shadows.