Derivative of Trig Function: y = u(cos(u) + b cot(u)) | No Chain Rule

In summary: IOW, if you see a function with x and u, x is a constant. In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating a function with the variables a, b, and u, and the use of the constant rule in solving the problem. The final answer is correct and the conversation also touches on the assumption of variables as constants in certain cases.
QuarkCharmer

Homework Statement

Differentiate:
y= u(a cos(u) + b cot(u))

Homework Equations

No Chain Rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out finding the derivative of (a cosu + b cotu)
I'm guessing that a/b is constant?
[tex]\frac{d}{du}(a cos(u) + b cot(u))=[/tex]
[tex]=(0(cosu)+a(-sinu))+(0(cosu)+b(-csc^2u))[/tex]
[tex]=(0+a(-sinu))+(0+b(-csc^2u))[/tex]
[tex]=(-asin(u)-bcsc^2(u))[/tex]

So then I used that and the product rule:
[tex]y'=1(a cos(u) + b cot(u))+u(-asin(u)-bcsc^2(u))[/tex]
[tex]y'=a cos(u) + b cot(u)-uasin(u)-ubcsc^2(u))[/tex]

Pretty sure I am making a huge mistake here, it doesn't feel right at all?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, you're correct. I solved it numerically real quick and input values for a,b,u and got the same results from your solution. Nice job.

Thanks! I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near correct.

Well, I just assumed they meant to take d/du, it never said which variable is the input to the function. The other problems have had more "elegant" solutions, and this just doesn't look correct to me.

Is it right to assume a and b as constants in this case? Even though they are variables? I am not sure I understand what a "constant" is exactly. Specifically in terms of the constant rule for derivatives and such.

This is problem #8 in 3.4 of Stewards Calculus 6E. If anyone has the solutions manual could you please tell me what the book shows?

QuarkCharmer said:
Thanks! I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near correct.

Well, I just assumed they meant to take d/du, it never said which variable is the input to the function. The other problems have had more "elegant" solutions, and this just doesn't look correct to me.

Is it right to assume a and b as constants in this case? Even though they are variables? I am not sure I understand what a "constant" is exactly. Specifically in terms of the constant rule for derivatives and such.

This is problem #8 in 3.4 of Stewards Calculus 6E. If anyone has the solutions manual could you please tell me what the book shows?

Your answer is correct. Since the argument to the cosine and cotangent function is u, it's reasonable to assume that y is a function of u, and that the derivative asked for is dy/du.

Any letters other than u can be assumed to be constants. IOW, parameters whose values don't change.

QuarkCharmer said:
Were all of them generalised ie, did they all contain constants? Constants tend to add complexity to expressions.

QuarkCharmer said:
Unless you're in multivariable calculus (aka calculus III), all variables other than the obvious variable are constants.

FAQ: Derivative of Trig Function: y = u(cos(u) + b cot(u)) | No Chain Rule

What is the definition of "d/dx of trig function"?

The notation d/dx represents the derivative of a function with respect to the variable x. When applied to a trigonometric function, it represents the rate of change of that function at a specific point.

How do you find the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The derivative of a trigonometric function can be found by using the chain rule or by using trigonometric identities and the power rule. The specific method depends on the specific trigonometric function being differentiated.

What is the derivative of sine and cosine functions?

The derivative of the sine function is the cosine function, and the derivative of the cosine function is the negative sine function. This can be expressed as d/dx(sin(x)) = cos(x) and d/dx(cos(x)) = -sin(x).

Why is it important to find the derivative of trigonometric functions?

Finding the derivative of a trigonometric function allows us to understand the rate of change of a function and its behavior at different points. This is crucial in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Can the derivative of a trigonometric function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a trigonometric function can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point. However, the derivative can also be positive or zero, depending on the behavior of the function at that point.