The below solution seems to assume that 1/0 = 0

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chain rule
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the chain rule in finding the derivative and equating it to zero. The concern is whether it is a mistake to consider dy/du=0 in the solutions. The formula for u is u = (x-2)^2 + (e^x - 5/2)^2, which cannot be equal to zero unless both terms are individually equal to zero. It is noted that it is only necessary to look for a minimum of u(x) ≥ 0, rather than u(x).
Darkmisc
Homework Statement
The below question seems to assume that 1/0 = 0. Have I misunderstood something?
Relevant Equations
Chain rule
Hi everyone

In the below problem, I understand that the chain rule is being used. The derivative is then equated to zero. Since the derivative is composed of dy/du and du/dx, the derivative will equal zero if either dy/du or du/dx equals zero.

However, u would be everything under the square root sign, so dy/du would be 1/(2u^0.5). If u is equated to zero, dy/du should be undefined.

Is it a mistake for the below solutions to consider dy/du=0, or have I missed something?

Thanks

1659059283216.png
1659059331033.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What is u that you are wondering ? I do not find the formula.

anuttarasammyak said:
What is u that you are wondering ? I do not find the formula.
1659068534936.png

Darkmisc said:
so dy/du would be 1/(2u^0.5).
… which is non-zero so du/dx needs to be zero for dy/dx to be zero.

Likes Darkmisc
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du}\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{2x-4+2e^{2x}-5e^x}{2\sqrt{u}}[/tex]

1659074444797.png

Obviously
[tex]u=(x-2)^2+(e^x-\frac{5}{2})^2 >0 [/tex]

1659077435600.png

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara, Darkmisc and malawi_glenn
It is pretty easy to show that ##u= (x-2)^2 + (e^x - \frac{5}{2})^2## can not be zero.
Remember, this is Pythagoras theorem basically. So the only way u can be zero is if both terms are equal to zero individually. This means x1 = 2 and x2 = ln(5/2). But 5/2 < e so x2 < 1. So there is no x that can make u = 0.

Likes jim mcnamara and Darkmisc
The issue only occurs if [itex]u(x) = 0[/itex] somewhere; but then [itex]\min\sqrt{u(x)} = 0[/itex], and we don't need to look at the derivative of [itex]\sqrt{u(x)}[/itex] (at a point where it doesn't exist) to tell us that. Also, it is enough to look for a minimum of [itex]u(x) \geq 0[/itex], rather than [itex]\sqrt{u(x)}[/itex].

Likes Darkmisc and malawi_glenn
pasmith said:
Also, it is enough to look for a minimum of u(x)≥0, rather than u(x).
Also note that this is true for any monotonically increasing function ##f## (such as the square root on the non-negative numbers).

What does it mean for 1/0 to equal 0?

This means that when dividing 1 by 0, the result is assumed to be 0. However, this is not mathematically correct and is known as a "division by zero" error.

Why does the below solution assume that 1/0 = 0?

The below solution may have been written with the assumption that 1/0 equals 0 because it is a common mistake to make in programming and can lead to unexpected results. The solution may also be attempting to handle the error in a specific way.

Is it ever acceptable for 1/0 to equal 0?

No, it is never acceptable for 1/0 to equal 0. This is because division by zero is undefined in mathematics and leads to invalid or infinite results.

What happens if I try to divide by 0 in a program?

If you try to divide by 0 in a program, it will likely result in an error or unexpected behavior. The program may crash or produce incorrect results.

How can I avoid division by zero errors in my code?

To avoid division by zero errors, you can add checks in your code to make sure the denominator is not 0 before performing the division. You can also use try-catch blocks to handle the error in a specific way.