Evaluate the integral: ∫csc((v-π)/2)cot((v-π)/2)

• Thread starter cookiemnstr510510
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: It should be cot(x)=cos(x)/sin(x) .In summary, the integral is incorrect as it is missing the variable of integration and has an incorrect identity for cotangent. The correct identity for cotangent is cot(x)=cos(x)/sin(x).
cookiemnstr510510

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral:
∫csc((v-π)/2)cot((v-π)/2)

Homework Equations

cscx=1/sinx
cot=sinx/cosx

The Attempt at a Solution

I first turned csc and cot into the above "relevant equations"
∫ (1/sin(##\frac{v-π}{2}##)(##\frac{sin(v-π)/2}{cos(v-π)/2}##)=∫cos-1((v-π)/2)
then
U=(v-π)/2
dU=(1/2)dv
dv=2dU
→2∫cos-1(u)dU= [-2/(√1-((v-π)/2)]+C

is there another way to do this? I feel like i may have done it wrong.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a mistake. You replaced 1/cos with cos-1, which actually means the inverse cosine. Then your answer is the integral of inverse cosine, not 1/cosine

cookiemnstr510510 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral:

Homework Equations

cscx=1/sinx
cot=sinx/cosx

The Attempt at a Solution

I first turned csc and cot into the above "relevant equations"
∫ (1/sin(##\frac{v-π}{2}##)(##\frac{sin(v-π)/2}{cos(v-π)/2}##)=∫cos-1((v-π)/2)
then
U=(v-π)/2
dU=(1/2)dv
dv=2dU
→2∫cos-1(u)dU= [-2/(√1-((v-π)/2)]+C

is there another way to do this? I feel like i may have done it wrong.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

There is no reason to switch to sines and cosines. Just remember the relationships between cosecants and cotangents and their derivatives. Try the same type of substitution directly with the cosecant.

cookiemnstr510510 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral:

Homework Equations

cscx=1/sinx
cot=sinx/cosx
You are missing the variable of integration. Integration should be of the form: ... dv .

Also, you have an incorrect identity for cot(x) .

1. What is the function being integrated?

The function being integrated is csc((v-π)/2)cot((v-π)/2). This is a trigonometric function that involves the cosecant and cotangent of the expression (v-π)/2.

2. What is the range of values for the variable v?

The variable v can take on any real number value, as long as it is within the domain of the function. In this case, since we are dealing with trigonometric functions, the values of v should be within the range of the inverse trigonometric functions, i.e. [-1,1] for the cosecant and [-∞,∞] for the cotangent.

3. How do we evaluate this integral?

To evaluate this integral, we can use the substitution method. Let u = (v-π)/2, then du = (1/2)dv. Substituting this into the integral, we get (1/2)∫csc(u)cot(u)du. This is now in the form of a standard integral, which can be solved using integration techniques such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitution.

4. What is the solution to this integral?

The solution to this integral is (1/2)ln|csc((v-π)/2) - cot((v-π)/2)| + C, where C is the constant of integration. This can be obtained by using integration by parts or trigonometric substitution to solve the standard integral ∫csc(u)cot(u)du, and then substituting back the original variable v.

5. Are there any restrictions on the value of v for this integral to be defined?

Yes, there are restrictions on the value of v for this integral to be defined. Since we are dealing with trigonometric functions, the values of v should not result in a division by zero. Therefore, the expression (v-π)/2 should not equal (2n+1)π for any integer n, as this would result in csc((v-π)/2) = 0 and the integral would be undefined.