Double slit experiment for AP physics

In summary, a group of high school students is researching the double slit experiment and is seeking advice on how to perform it with electrons. They have access to a large laser for the light portion but are also interested in using a single photon laser. They have heard about using a film to capture the interference pattern and potentially using an electron "gun" from a TV or an electron accelerator tutorial from instructables.
erikrehnberg
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum to be posting this in (if it's not, feel free to move me), but I have a question about the double slit experiment.

For my AP Physics class, a group of seven other guys and myself are researching the double slit experiment, both with light and with electrons. Does anyone here have any advice on how a group of high schoolers would go about performing the experiment with electrons? (The light portion is easy, and our teacher is actually giving us access to a fairly large laser he has for another class).

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm currently doing one of these for a science fair, and during my research, I heard something about doing this with a single photon laser. I didn't know these existed (and I have yet to find one.) But if you can learn more about these, it might be interesting to look into.

It basically fired single photons overnight onto a film, then let the film develop, showing the interference pattern.

Not sure if you cared much about that, but anyways...
I also read something about cracking open a TV to get an electron "gun."

Theres also a Electron accellerator tutorial on instructables, maybe you can modify that for your needs.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Electron-Accelerator-A-Cathode-Ray-Tube-in-a-/

Related to Double slit experiment for AP physics

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern that is created on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does the double slit experiment relate to AP physics?

The double slit experiment is often used in AP physics courses to demonstrate fundamental concepts such as diffraction, interference, and the wave-particle duality of light. It also helps students understand the role of observation in quantum mechanics.

3. What are the key components of the double slit experiment setup?

The key components of the double slit experiment setup include a light source, a barrier with two parallel slits, and a screen or detector to observe the interference pattern. In some variations, a lens may also be used to focus the light beam.

4. What are some real-world applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has been used in various real-world applications, such as studying the diffraction of light in optical instruments like cameras and telescopes. It has also been used to study the behavior of electrons and other particles in quantum mechanics.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the double slit experiment?

One common misconception about the double slit experiment is that the interference pattern is caused by the light passing through the two slits. In reality, the interference pattern is created by the interaction of the light waves with each other. Another misconception is that the double slit experiment only works with light, when in fact it has been successfully performed with other particles such as electrons and even larger molecules.