Double slit experiment combined with Stern-Gerlach

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of seeing an interference pattern in a double slit experiment with electrons, even after adding a Stern-Gerlach type experiment. The outcome would depend on various factors, but it is possible for the SG spots to show an interference pattern.
Nocturnial
TL;DR Summary
Would you still see an interference pattern if electrons were put through a Stern-Gerlach device after the double slit?
A bit of background: I've read Derive the probability of spin at arbitrary angle is cos( ) | Physics Forums post in this forum and went into a "thought rabbit hole". It didn't make any sense to me and I think I made a wrong assumption somewhere along the way. Instead of typing everything out, I thought it would be helpful to split my assumptions in several different posts.

In a double slit experiment with electrons you'll see an interference pattern (with enough electrons fired). Suppose after the double slit you put a Stern-Gerlach type experiment. Would you still see an interference pattern, but it separated into two rows depending on the spin or is the interference pattern lost?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The exact result depends on the details of the experiment, like the relative orientation of the SG with respect to the slit, the SG separation compared to the size of the fringes, etc., but yes, the SG spots would each show an interference pattern.

1. What is the double slit experiment and how is it related to the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in quantum physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves passing a beam of particles, such as electrons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen. The Stern-Gerlach experiment, on the other hand, involves passing a beam of particles through a magnetic field and observing their deflection. The two experiments are related because they both demonstrate the probabilistic nature of particles and the role of observation in determining their behavior.

2. What is the significance of the double slit experiment combined with the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The combination of these two experiments provides further evidence for the wave-particle duality of particles. It also highlights the importance of observation and measurement in quantum mechanics, as the act of observing the particles can affect their behavior.

3. How does the double slit experiment combined with the Stern-Gerlach experiment challenge classical physics?

In classical physics, particles are expected to behave like solid, distinct objects with definite properties and trajectories. However, the results of these experiments show that particles can behave like waves and exhibit probabilistic behavior, which goes against classical physics principles.

4. What are the practical applications of the double slit experiment combined with the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

These experiments have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography, as well as in the development of advanced technologies such as quantum sensors and detectors.

5. Are there any variations of the double slit experiment combined with the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

Yes, there are variations of these experiments that involve different types of particles, such as photons or atoms, and different setups, such as using multiple slits or magnetic fields. These variations allow for further exploration and understanding of the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.