Cold Asphalt: Permanent Pothole Repair in a Single Step

• Thread starter Charles123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold
In summary, these new cold asphalts, that allow to repair potholes filled with water work by using a polymer-modified asphalt that is mixed with a reactive material and then flash dried. When compressed, the layers of asphalt, volatile solvent, and catalyst mix and initiate the curing reaction.
Charles123
How do these new cold asphalts, that allow to repair potholes filled with water work? What chemistry/mechanism allows them to be so easy to manipulate at normal temperature and then rapidly solidify in a permanent road solution?
I am referring to a new kind of cold asphalt, as shown in the following video - .

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

I don't know, but that's pretty awesome. I wish they'd use that here.

It is likely a polymer-modified asphalt. These are produced by mixing a polymer resin into the asphalt diluted with a bit of solvent and a surfactant. The polymer resin may be reactive or not. Looks like it is of the reactive type in this example. If I were to formulate a product like this, I might use http://www2.dupont.com/Elvaloy/en_US/tech_info/msds_elvaloy_asphalt_modifiers.html in one of the asphalt portions of the concrete. How I mix it, how much to mix, use of catalysts and their type, type of surfactant and amounts, limestone grading, etc... will all be a trade secret of course. I would mix the reactive material onto the asphalt-coated limestone in a second step. I would flash dry the reactive coating to seal the interior asphalt (containing the catalyst) and would oil coat the final product to prevent drying. When the asphalt was mechanically compressed, the carefully-isolated layers of asphalt, volatile solvent, catalyst and oil would mix and initiate the curing reaction.
The ability to provide a bond in wet conditions may be a gimmick. You notice that the concrete is slowly compressed, allowing the water to migrate to the surface before it is finally compressed into it's final form. The lack of a bond coat is likewise a gimmick. Repairing a pothole only when dry is not really a requirement unless you are using hot mix or you use a cold mix with water-soluble emulsifiers (most do).

Last edited:

Thank you for your answer! That explains it.

I find the concept of cold asphalt for permanent pothole repair to be intriguing. Traditional hot mix asphalt requires high temperatures for proper application, making it difficult to use in colder climates or during inclement weather. This new cold asphalt technology seems to offer a more efficient and convenient solution.

The chemistry behind these new cold asphalts is likely a combination of different polymers and additives that allow for easier manipulation at normal temperatures. These polymers likely have a lower melting point compared to traditional asphalt, which allows them to be easily mixed and spread without the need for high temperatures.

Once the cold asphalt is applied, it is exposed to moisture from the surrounding environment or from the water-filled pothole. This triggers a chemical reaction within the asphalt, causing it to rapidly solidify and form a strong bond with the surrounding road surface. This mechanism is likely a cross-linking reaction between the polymers and the moisture, creating a durable and permanent solution.

The ability for these cold asphalts to solidify quickly also means that repairs can be made in a single step, saving time and resources. This makes it a more efficient and cost-effective solution for repairing potholes.

In conclusion, the chemistry and mechanism behind these new cold asphalts allow for easier manipulation at normal temperatures and rapid solidification when exposed to moisture. This makes them a promising solution for permanent pothole repair in various weather conditions. Further research and development in this area could lead to even more innovative and sustainable solutions for our roads.

What is cold asphalt?

Cold asphalt is a type of asphalt mixture that can be used to repair potholes and cracks on roads, driveways, and other paved surfaces without the need for heating or specialized equipment.

How does cold asphalt work?

Cold asphalt works by combining a mixture of liquid asphalt, aggregates, and additives that can be easily applied to fill potholes and cracks. The mixture binds together and hardens over time, creating a permanent repair in a single step.

Is cold asphalt a permanent solution for pothole repair?

Yes, cold asphalt is designed to be a permanent solution for pothole repair. It is durable and resistant to weather and traffic, making it a long-lasting solution for damaged pavement.

Can cold asphalt be applied in any weather conditions?

Cold asphalt can be applied in a wide range of weather conditions, including cold and wet weather. However, it is important to ensure that the pothole or crack is clean and free of water before applying the cold asphalt for the best results.

How cost-effective is cold asphalt compared to traditional hot mix asphalt?

Cold asphalt is often more cost-effective than traditional hot mix asphalt. It requires less equipment and labor for application, and it can be applied in smaller quantities, reducing waste. Additionally, the quick application process can save time and money in the long run.