Why Does One Photon of Light Cause the Emission of One Electron?

• Thread starter dev70
  • Start date
In summary, the photoelectric effect is when one photon of light causes the emission of one electron. If the energy of the photon is more than the "binding energy" of the electron, the electron can absorb the energy and escape from the atom.
dev70
hi pf, while reading photoelectric effect i found that one photon of light causes the emission of one electron? I want to know why?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi dev70! :smile:

are you asking about the number? :confused:

one photon can certainly cause the emission of zero electrons (it usually does! :wink:)

so far as i know, it can also cause the emission of two or more electrons (if it has enough energy), but i suspect the probability of that is fairly low

as far as i know or i searched in the web i found in many sites saying that one electron can absorb the energy of one photon or somewhat similar to what i asked. i want to know how and why?

dev70 said:
as far as i know or i searched in the web i found in many sites saying that one electron can absorb the energy of one photon or somewhat similar to what i asked. i want to know how and why?

i'm not following what's worrying you about this :confused:

a photon has a certain amount of energy

if it hits an atom, the energy of the photon can be absorbed by one of the electrons in the atom …

if that photon energy is less than the "binding energy" of the electron, then the energy is just released again, and the photon is re-emitted

but if the photon energy is more than the "binding energy" of the electron, then the electron can absorb the energy, and escape from the atom, with a kinetic energy equal to the difference between the photon energy and the electron's "binding energy"

have you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoelectric_effect#Emission_mechanism ?

is there any particular part of it you don't follow?​

No, i think i got it. Thank you

Do you dev70? I have the same question too
Can you share me why?

hi gema! :smile:

which part of it you don't follow?​

Hi tim-tim
why only one photon can be absorb by one electron?
I really am confuses.

the probability of two photons hitting the same electron at the same time is negligible

so if no photon has enough energy to release the electron on its own, the electron won't be emitted :smile:

thanks tiny-tim :smile:

yesterday in an exam i got a question on photoelectric effect.
will there be emission of electrons if the energy of incident wave is exactly equal to work function?

dev70 said:
yesterday in an exam i got a question on photoelectric effect.
will there be emission of electrons if the energy of incident wave is exactly equal to work function?

hmm … looks like a catch question :redface:

i'll guess that the thermal motion means that half of the atoms must be moving away from the light source, which will be red-shifted, so they won't receive enough energy (but the other half will)

but i don't know what the official answer is :frown:

Related to Why Does One Photon of Light Cause the Emission of One Electron?

1. What is a photon and how does it cause the emission of an electron?

A photon is a fundamental particle that makes up light. When a photon comes into contact with an atom, it can transfer its energy to an electron in the atom. This energy causes the electron to become excited and move to a higher energy level, resulting in the emission of the electron.

2. Why does only one photon of light cause the emission of one electron?

The energy of a photon is directly related to its frequency. Each electron in an atom has a specific energy level, and only a photon with the exact energy level can cause the electron to move. Therefore, only one photon with the right energy level can cause the emission of one electron.

3. Can more than one photon of light cause the emission of one electron?

Yes, it is possible for multiple photons to cause the emission of one electron. This is known as multi-photon ionization and occurs when a high-intensity laser is used to bombard an atom with multiple photons, providing enough combined energy to excite the electron.

4. What factors can influence the emission of an electron by a photon of light?

The energy of the photon, the energy level of the electron, and the angle at which the photon hits the atom can all influence the emission of an electron. Additionally, the type of material the photon interacts with can also affect the process.

5. Is the emission of an electron by a photon of light a random process?

No, the emission of an electron by a photon is a predictable and consistent process. The energy levels of electrons and the energy of photons are well understood, allowing scientists to accurately predict when and how the emission of an electron will occur.