Mach-Zehnder with Stimulated Emission

In summary, stimulated emission would destroy the superposition state and interfere with the interference pattern at the final beam splitter in a Mach-Zehnder interferometer. SPDC does not interfere with the superposition state and is commonly used in quantum experiments to create entangled photons. As more stimulated emissions occur, the entanglement becomes more complex and difficult to quantify, as the number of photons in each clump follows a probability distribution rather than a specific number. Your understanding of entanglement and interest in learning more about the formalism of quantum mechanics is commendable.
Erik Ayer
TL;DR Summary
If using stimulated emission in the arms of an MZ interferometer, would the superposition state collapse?
Imagine a Mach-Zehnder interferometer adjusted so that light comes out one face of the final beam splitter, as per normal use. In the arms, lasing material is added so that photons can cause stimulated emission of more photons that should be the same wavelength and in phase - they should be coherent. Would there still be interference at the final beam splitter, or would the stimulated emission destroy the superposition state, resulting in the light having a 50/50 chance of coming out either face of the final beam splitter?

I strongly suspect interference would be destroyed - the superposition state would be collapsed. When stimulated emission happens, there is a real change to the system in that an atom will go from an excited state to its ground state (or a less excited state). While this is a microscopic process, my feeling is that it would still cause decoherence. In contrast, SPDC does not change the non-linear medium.

If the initial photon entering the MZ did cause stimulated emission but was able to stay in superposition, then the two photons would be entangled in that they would be in path superposition, but if measured they would be in the same path. If more stimulated emissions occurred, there would be a clump of photons all path-entangled with each other. But each clump would not be a specific number of photons but rather a probability distribution with a peak at some number, set by the lasing medium and other parameters. It seems like that would add another complication to keeping it in path-superposition, but I can't quantify that.

Do I have the right of it? Unfortunately I don't know enough formalism to do this correctly, although I keep plugging away at it.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can confirm that your understanding is correct. Stimulated emission would destroy the superposition state and interfere with the interference pattern at the final beam splitter. This is because the act of stimulated emission involves a real change to the system, as you mentioned, and this change would affect the coherence of the photons in the MZ interferometer.

In contrast, SPDC (spontaneous parametric down-conversion) does not change the non-linear medium and does not interfere with the superposition state. This is why it is commonly used in quantum experiments to create entangled photons.

Your understanding of entanglement is also correct. If the initial photon entering the MZ interferometer were able to stay in superposition, it would entangle with the stimulated photons in the lasing material. However, as more stimulated emissions occur, the entanglement becomes more complex and difficult to quantify. This is because, as you mentioned, the number of photons in each clump would follow a probability distribution rather than a specific number.

I would also like to add that your interest and effort in learning more about the formalism of quantum mechanics is commendable. It is a complex and challenging field, but with persistence and dedication, I am sure you will be able to grasp its concepts and formalism. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a Mach-Zehnder interferometer with stimulated emission?

A Mach-Zehnder interferometer with stimulated emission is a type of optical device that uses stimulated emission to amplify and manipulate light waves. It consists of two arms with a beam splitter and two mirrors, and is commonly used in telecommunications and optical signal processing.

2. How does a Mach-Zehnder interferometer with stimulated emission work?

In a Mach-Zehnder interferometer with stimulated emission, a light beam is split into two paths by a beam splitter. One path contains a gain medium, which amplifies the light through stimulated emission. The two paths are then recombined at a second beam splitter, resulting in interference patterns that can be manipulated by adjusting the phase and amplitude of the light waves.

3. What are the advantages of using a Mach-Zehnder interferometer with stimulated emission?

One advantage of using a Mach-Zehnder interferometer with stimulated emission is its ability to amplify and manipulate light signals without introducing noise. It also allows for precise control of the interference patterns, making it useful in applications such as optical switching and filtering.

4. What are some applications of a Mach-Zehnder interferometer with stimulated emission?

Mach-Zehnder interferometers with stimulated emission have many applications in telecommunications, such as in optical amplifiers, modulators, and switches. They are also used in optical signal processing, sensing, and quantum information processing.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Mach-Zehnder interferometer with stimulated emission?

One limitation of using a Mach-Zehnder interferometer with stimulated emission is that it requires precise alignment and stability, which can be challenging to achieve. It also relies on the availability of a suitable gain medium, which may not be readily available for all wavelengths. Additionally, the use of high-intensity light in the gain medium can cause unwanted nonlinear effects.