Disappearance of posts and threads

• Thread starter Polly
  • Start date
In summary, a member's posts and threads were deleted due to a ban or request for deletion. The reasons for the ban or request are not discussed publicly in order to protect member privacy. It is not appropriate to discuss specific individuals on the forum. Opening threads about this issue can be embarrassing for the member involved. It is best to keep personal matters between members and staff private.
Polly
I noticed just now that all the posts of and threads started by a member have disappeared. When I requested "all posts made by him" or "all threads started by him", the return was something like "no match". Why is that so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Who was the member?
If you don't want to discuss it here, send a PM to Greg or chroot.

Thank you for your reply. Without intending to sound billigerent, I think policy should be discussed openly.

Obviously not being the poster banned, I am not sufficiently "interested" in requesting to be informed the reason of being banned, I will forego that point anyway. What I do not understand however is why are all the posts and threads of the banned poster obliterated? What purpose does it serve to do away all the evidence of his prior existence?

The type of action taken depends on the situation. I would think that if it is determined that there are a large number of posts that need to be removed, it may be easier to do a single mass edit rather than trying to locate and delete each post individually.

With the greatest respect, "a large number of posts that need to be removed"? Surely you cannot be suggesting dereliction on the part the relevant Supermentor for such "a large number of posts" to have come about in the first place?

You do not know the circumstances and in order to protect member privacy, we will not discuss the reasons here.

No kidding. I had no intention of breaking the rules; if anyone notified me that I was breaking any rules at time time I was breaking them, I would certainly have stopped. For all the bombast, I have consistently admitted error when error is to be found, and I am always as reasonable as I can be. I take pride in both of those things. Please let me know by PM or email what the error was, and how long the ban is.

You were pm'd by another mentor earlier.

I have not been told what the infringement was and I have not been told the duration of the ban. I have asked.

You have been told the infringement and the duration is indefinite.

I have been informed only in vague terms. I have not been informed of the specific infringement(s). Last question is, am I, in fact, banned?

If, as I am beginning to gather, I am not actually banned but placed into a different category called "ignore" and thus may continue to post under a different name, I need to know specifically what I may do to avoid being placed into that category again.

Polly said:
I noticed just now that all the posts of and threads started by a member have disappeared. When I requested "all posts made by him" or "all threads started by him", the return was something like "no match". Why is that so?

If the username was banned then his name was most likely deleted in the database. You may still find it if you search the posts individually, but it's very, very tedious. It's a longshot.

The person's name would appear un-highlighted and under Registered or Join Date would show up as N/A or Not Available.

TemporaryUser, please PM me or another staff member to have it discussed, we won't discuss your specific dispute here.

Yes, I noticed "this person's" posts being gone. Why? I'm really curious as to find out what he was doing wrong. If it's too much to tell, it's OK.

Knavish said:
Yes, I noticed "this person's" posts being gone. Why? I'm really curious as to find out what he was doing wrong. If it's too much to tell, it's OK.

If the problem was bad enough to require making the posts disappear, I'm sure the reasons do not need to be discussed publicly. I don't think it's appropriate for us to discuss any specific individual here, and instead to permit them to discuss the matter privately with the administration to determine if there is an agreement and resolution that can be reached to restore their status on the board or not.

If he was even oblivious as to what he did wrong, I assumed the problem shouldn't be "all that bad."

Oh well, I was just curious. It's OK.

Last edited:
Knavish, it's only normal for you to ask.

This is why threads of this type should not be opened. What is taking place between a member and the staff is a private issue. Drawing everyone's attention to a problem that is being worked out can be very embarrassing for the member. It's possible it's not a big deal, which in this case it's not, or perhaps it is the member's request (we have had members request that we delete all of their posts before), but making a public announcement puts the spotlight on that member.

Let's all keep our noses in our own business.

Last edited:

What causes posts and threads to disappear?

Posts and threads can disappear for a variety of reasons. It could be due to a technical issue with the website or server, a moderator removing the post or thread for violating community guidelines, or the user deleting their own post or thread.

Can posts and threads be recovered after they disappear?

In some cases, posts and threads can be recovered. If the disappearance was due to a technical issue, the website administrators may be able to restore the content. However, if the post or thread was intentionally deleted by a user or moderator, it is unlikely that it can be recovered.

Is there a way to prevent posts and threads from disappearing?

As a user, you can ensure that your posts and threads adhere to community guidelines to avoid them being removed by moderators. You can also regularly back up important posts or threads for your own record. As a website administrator, implementing regular backups and maintenance can help prevent technical issues that may cause posts and threads to disappear.

Do posts and threads disappear on all websites?

No, the disappearance of posts and threads is not a common issue on all websites. It may be more prevalent on smaller or less established websites due to lack of resources or stricter moderation policies. Established and well-maintained websites are less likely to experience this issue.

Can the disappearance of posts and threads be a sign of a security breach?

In some cases, yes. If posts and threads are disappearing without explanation or without any action from moderators or users, it could be a sign of a security breach. It is important to report any suspicious activity to website administrators to address the issue.