Equilibirum concentration in thermodynamics

In summary: On the Equilibrium Distribution of Heterophase Clusters" (J. Chem. Phys. 92, 7481 (1999)), argues that the equilibrium distribution of clusters should be taken into account in systems with an effective supersaturation. He derives an equation for the equilibrium distribution of clusters, based on the principle of maximum entropy production.
aaaa202
Are any of you here comfortable with thermodynamic calculations for heterophase fluctuations? Then please help me understand an important bit in my book (attached)
I am doing a project on nucleation, i.e. the study of building of clusters of different atoms. In my book (attached part) it seems important to consider what is called the equilibrium distribution of clusters, though in a system with an effective supersaturation this is apparently just a theoretical distribution not a physical one.
I would like some understanding on what the idea of considering this distribution is: When does it describe the physical distribution of clusters?
And more importantly it relates the chemical potentials as per equation 7.3. Can anyone tell me how to arrive at this kind of dependence? I tried to check the reference but couldn't find the specific calculation.

Attachments

• Equilibriumconcentration.png
    Equilibriumconcentration.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 418
Science news on Phys.org
7.3 is the usual dependence of the chemical potential μ(C) at concentration C to the chemical potential μ(C0) at some standard state with concentration C0 for an ideal solution. I don't know why they mu of the standard state G, instead.

Where does it come from? The expression for mu_n

Come on, that's on the first 5 pages on every book on chemical thermodynamics ...
Basically, it is due to the increase of entropy with volume.
For an ideal gas, which is analogous to an ideal solution you argue as follows:
## dA=-SdT-PdV+\mu dN##
so you get the relation ##\partial \mu/\partial V=-\partial P/\partial N##.
Use P=NRT/V to get
##d\mu =-\frac{RT}{V} dV## for constant T and N.
Integrate from ##\mu_0## to ##\mu## on the left and from ##V_0## to V to obtain
##\mu=\mu_0-RT \ln V/V_0=\mu_0+RT \ln c/c_0##.

Here is some additional information about the derivation of eqn. 7.3 for an "ideal liquid solution." For a material that approximates the behavior of an "ideal liquid solution," the partial molar volume of each species is approximately equal to the molar volume of the species in its pure state at the same temperature and pressure as the solution, and the partial molar enthalpy of each species is approximately equal to the molar enthalpy of the species in its pure state. In addition, from Smith and Van Ness: "For solutions comprised of species of equal molecular volume in which all molecular interactions are the same, on can show by the methods of statistical thermodynamics that the lowest possible value of the entropy is given by an equation analogous to" the corresponding mixture equation for an ideal gas. These assumptions lead to Eqn. 7.3. In Eqn. 7.3, G(n) is supposed to be the free energy of the pure species n at the same temperature and pressure as the solution.

Chet

1. What is equilibrium concentration in thermodynamics?

Equilibrium concentration in thermodynamics refers to the concentration of reactants and products that exist at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is the point at which the forward and reverse reactions occur at the same rate, resulting in a constant concentration of reactants and products.

2. How is equilibrium concentration calculated?

Equilibrium concentration is typically calculated using the equilibrium constant, which is the ratio of product concentrations to reactant concentrations at equilibrium. This constant is determined experimentally and varies depending on the specific reaction.

3. Why is equilibrium concentration important in thermodynamics?

Equilibrium concentration is important in thermodynamics because it allows us to understand the behavior of chemical reactions and predict the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing chemical processes.

4. How does temperature affect equilibrium concentration?

Temperature has a significant impact on equilibrium concentration in thermodynamics. According to Le Chatelier's principle, when temperature is increased, the equilibrium shifts in the direction of the endothermic reaction, resulting in an increase in product concentration. Conversely, a decrease in temperature favors the exothermic reaction and decreases product concentration.

5. Can equilibrium concentration be changed?

Yes, equilibrium concentration can be changed by altering the conditions of the reaction. This can be done by changing the temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants and products. The equilibrium will shift to maintain a constant equilibrium constant, resulting in changes in the concentrations of reactants and products.