How deep does thermodynamics go? And how much would a chemist know?

In summary: I would recommend that you take these classes, even if you don't plan on specializing in chemistry.Thermodynamics is a vast and complex topic with a lot of different sub-disciplines. It's not possible to be an expert in all of them, but if you're interested in the topic, then taking classes in related areas will help you get a better understanding.Thermodynamics is a vast and complex topic with a lot of different sub-disciplines. It's not possible to be an expert in all of them, but if you're interested in the topic, then taking classes in related areas will help you get a better understanding.
somefellasomewhere
TL;DR Summary: I'm trying to understand what research fields I would have access to as a person who's majoring in chemistry. So how deep does thermodynamics go and how much of a foothold could I get into research on it as someone who's majoring in chemistry? Or is it really only accessible to physics majors? (non-equilibrium thermo, don't know if that makes a difference) I ask because there is a research group on non-equilibrium systems at the college I'm attending.

I'm trying to understand what research fields I would have access to as a person who's majoring in chemistry, and non-equilibrium thermodynamics has caught my attention since some professors at my college are doing research on it. I'm not at all educated on the topic, but it seems to have interesting applications in chemical kinetics and biology and I'm wondering if I would have access to the field as someone majoring in chemistry?

Thermodynamics seems to be an bottomless well of knowledge, so would this field be more favorable towards people trained in physics? Or would my pchem classes allow me a foothold in this area of research?

Also, what does the landscape of thermodynamics as a subject look like? I know there is some pretty set in stone classical understandings of the field, but statistical mechanics (whatever that is, again very clueless here) and this non-linear/non-equilibrium thermodynamics seems to present a new frontier of knowledge. Is that correct? Specifically in regards to non-equilibrium thermodynamics, do these systems present themselves more often in applications of thermodynamics (and would it follow that someone could get a foothold without formal training in physics?), or is it a central idea in and of itself?

Sorry if this is incoherent nonsense, or founded on naivety, but I'm trying to understand what career/academic options I have.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
somefellasomewhere said:
I ask because there is a research group on non-equilibrium systems at the college I'm attending.
You should ask them, possibly in person. Not only will you get good advice, but it'll also put you on their radar as someone who's interested and asks good questions. In general, things are more fluid (pun intended) at the research level; many researchers self study their way to competency in fields which they didn't major in.

Some argue that chemists/chemical engineers have a better understanding of thermodynamics than physicists.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71 and symbolipoint
Frabjous said:
Some argue that chemists/chemical engineers have a better understanding of thermodynamics than physicists.
..., plus or minus sign conventions regarding positive/negative work.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71
Bystander said:
..., plus or minus sign conventions regarding positive/negative work.
Even within physics, major texts use different conventions for this.

Muu9 said:
You should ask them, possibly in person. Not only will you get good advice, but it'll also put you on their radar as someone who's interested and asks good questions. In general, things are more fluid (pun intended) at the research level; many researchers self study their way to competency in fields which they didn't major in.
I will do this, but I don't want to seem arrogant or imposing. I might wait before I've had at least some prerequisite math and science before I go about pretending I can understand their field.

somefellasomewhere said:
I will do this, but I don't want to seem arrogant or imposing. I might wait before I've had at least some prerequisite math and science before I go about pretending I can understand their field.
Why wait? Ask them for suggestions on the math and science courses you should be taking. FWIW, I majored in physics, both as an undergrad and grad. In addition to the thermodynamics and statistical mechanics classes in the physics department, I also took thermodynamics classes (undergrad and grad) in the materials science and engineering department. Coincidentally, the classes in the materials science and engineering departments (different schools for undergrad and grad) were taught by professors with chemistry degrees.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman

1. How is thermodynamics related to chemistry?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It is closely related to chemistry because chemical reactions involve the transfer and transformation of energy, which is governed by thermodynamic principles.

2. Can thermodynamics be applied to all chemical reactions?

Yes, thermodynamics can be applied to all chemical reactions, as they all involve the transfer and transformation of energy. However, the extent to which thermodynamic principles can be applied may vary depending on the complexity of the reaction and the conditions under which it occurs.

3. How deep does thermodynamics go?

Thermodynamics is a fundamental field of study and its principles can be applied to a wide range of systems and processes. It is a constantly evolving field, with new research and discoveries being made all the time. Therefore, the depth of thermodynamics can be considered limitless.

4. How much would a chemist know about thermodynamics?

Chemists are typically well-versed in thermodynamics as it is a crucial aspect of understanding chemical reactions. They may have a basic understanding of thermodynamic principles, such as energy conservation and entropy, or they may specialize in a particular area of thermodynamics, such as chemical thermodynamics or statistical thermodynamics.

5. Can thermodynamics be used to predict the outcome of a chemical reaction?

Yes, thermodynamic principles can be used to predict the direction and extent of a chemical reaction. The laws of thermodynamics, such as the law of conservation of energy and the second law of thermodynamics, provide a framework for understanding the energy changes that occur during a reaction and can help predict the spontaneity and equilibrium of a reaction.