Understanding Magnetic H Field Strength: MMF, Effective Length & Reluctance

In summary: So in summary, the results of the experiment showed that the field strength is equal to the magnetic flux density times the length of the object, but that doesn't take into account the effects of reluctance.
bootsnbraces
Hi all, I am trying to get my head around some experiment results but I am struggling a bit.
According to my notes H field strength is equal to MMF / effective length

However this doesn't take into account the effects of reluctance? Eg a toroid made from 2m of iron bar and a straight 1m length of iron bar will require the same mmf to generate the same H field regardless that in one case 50% of the path is through the low permitivitty of air?

can anyone shed some light on this for me please:confused:

thanks in advance guys and girls

Physics news on Phys.org
please -- someone's got to have a better understanding of this than me lol

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kind of similar to the way electric fields work. If you apply e.g. 1V to a parallel plate capacitor with a gap of 1mm you get 1000V/m independant of the permittivity of the dielectric.
Understanding the equations of electromagnetism becomes easier if you realize that the units and equations used in the SI system are defined such that the magnetic H field behaves mathematically equivalent to the electric E field. And B equivalent to D. That's just mathematically though and only in the SI system. The physical reality is basically the opposite of this, which can cause confusion. That has to do with the fact that matter interacts differently with magnetic fields than with electric fields. A dielectric material will weaken an E field. A ferromagnetic material will strengthen a B field.

Let's compare a few equations here.

Electric capacitance: [itex]C = q/V[/itex], measured in [itex]As/V[/itex]
But you could also write: [itex]C = \Phi_D/V[/itex]
Magnetic permeance: [itex]P = \Phi_B/NI[/itex], measured in [itex]Vs/A[/itex]

So the magnetic permeance is mathematically equivalent to the electric capacitance.

[itex]E = EMF/l[/itex]

[itex]H = MMF/l[/itex]

[itex]D = \epsilon E[/itex]

[itex]B = \mu H[/itex]

In fact when calculating a magnetic circuit you can usually look at the mathematically equivalent electric circuit ( by replacing B with D, H with E, C with P, V with A, etc. ), do all the calculations with that and in the end transform the results back.

1. What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength, also known as magnetic flux density, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field.

2. What is MMF (magneto-motive force)?

MMF is a measure of the force that creates a magnetic field. It is caused by the flow of electric current through a coil or wire.

3. How does effective length affect magnetic field strength?

The effective length is a measure of the distance between the two poles of a magnet or the length of a solenoid (coil). It affects magnetic field strength by determining how far the magnetic field can reach.

4. What is reluctance in relation to magnetic field strength?

Reluctance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of magnetic flux in a material. It is similar to resistance in electrical circuits, but for magnetic circuits.

5. How do these factors (MMF, effective length, and reluctance) affect each other?

MMF, effective length, and reluctance are all interrelated in determining the strength of a magnetic field. MMF and effective length are directly proportional, while reluctance is inversely proportional. This means that increasing MMF or effective length will increase the magnetic field strength, while increasing reluctance will decrease it.