How to find an expected value for magnetic field strength?

In summary, the conversation focused on an experiment conducted by the class to measure the magnetic field strength in mT between 5cm and 30cm. The data was plotted and showed a power relationship on a log vs log graph. To calculate the percentage uncertainty of the experiment, the expected value for the gradient of the graph is needed. However, finding a formula that works with the magnetic field strength and distance variables has been challenging. The group is seeking help in finding a suitable formula, but the ones provided in the curriculum do not match the experiment's specific conditions. It is suggested that a more detailed description of the apparatus used to create the magnetic field is needed, including its geometry and any electrical currents present, in order to find a relevant
jstrahan
Homework Statement
For my yr12 phyics assignment, I am struggling to find an expected value for magnetic field strength at a specific distance.
Relevant Equations
B=2*10^-7 (I/r) (where I is current and r is distance. B is magnetic field strength in Tesla)
B is proportional to 1/r^2 (this is the relationship that was expected, however the relationship was found to be a power relationship).
Our class modified an experiment to measure the magnetic field strength in mT between 5cm and 30cm, and I have plotted data and found that the relationship resembles a power relationship (using a log vs log graph). In order to find the percentage uncertainty for the whole experiment I need the expected value for the gradient of that log vs log graph, but I am struggling to find a formula that will work with the magnetic field strength and distance variables. Does anyone know of a formula that could be beneficial to me? I've attached some formulas below that are available in our curriculum, however, they do not seem to match the exact situation we have set up (they involve current, etc). Any amount of help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
We need to have a better description of the apparatus that was creating the magnetic field. It is likely there is a formula available, but it is necessary to know the geometry of the apparatus, as well as any electrical currents that may be present.

1. What is the formula for calculating the expected value for magnetic field strength?

The formula for calculating the expected value for magnetic field strength is: E = ∫ B(x) * P(x) dx where B(x) is the magnetic field strength at a given point and P(x) is the probability of finding that field strength at that point.

2. How do I determine the probability distribution for magnetic field strength?

The probability distribution for magnetic field strength can be determined by conducting experiments and recording the field strength at different points. This data can then be used to create a histogram or frequency distribution, which can be used to determine the probability of finding a certain field strength.

3. Can the expected value for magnetic field strength be negative?

No, the expected value for magnetic field strength cannot be negative. This is because the formula for calculating the expected value involves taking the integral of the product of the field strength and probability, and both of these values are always positive.

4. What factors can affect the expected value for magnetic field strength?

The expected value for magnetic field strength can be affected by factors such as the strength and direction of the current, the distance from the source of the magnetic field, and the presence of other objects that may influence the field.

5. How can I use the expected value for magnetic field strength in practical applications?

The expected value for magnetic field strength can be used in various practical applications, such as designing and optimizing magnetic sensors, determining the strength and direction of magnetic fields in different materials, and predicting the behavior of magnetic particles in a magnetic field.