What are the local maxima and minima of F(x)=(x^2)/(x+1)?

In summary: Thank you again.In summary, the conversation discusses finding critical points, local maxima, and local minima for the function F(x)=(x^2)/(x+1). The derivative of the function is also calculated, and it is determined that the book is correct in identifying f(0) as the local minimum and f(-2) as the local maximum. The concept of local versus global maxima and minima is also briefly mentioned.
jorcrobe

Homework Statement

F(x)=(x^2)/(x+1)
Find critical points
Find local maxima & minima

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

F'(x) = x(x+2)/(x+1)^2

crit points: -2,0,-1

f(-2) = -4
f(0) = 0
f(-1)=undef

My book is telling me that f(0) is the minima, and f(-2) is the maxima. I see it as the other way around. Which way is right? Explanations? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
jorcrobe said:

Homework Statement

F(x)=(x^2)/(x+1)
Find critical points

Homework Equations

None

F'(x) = x(x+2)/(x+1)^2

f(-2) = -4
f(0) = 0
f(-1)=undef

My book is telling me that f(0) is the minimum, and f(-2) is the maximum. I see it as the other way around. Which way is right? Explanations? Thank you!
The book is correct.

I suppose you're having trouble because the local maximum is less than the local minimum.

Graph F(x) to see what's happening .

jorcrobe said:

Homework Statement

F(x)=(x^2)/(x+1)
Find critical points

Homework Equations

None

F'(x) = x(x+2)/(x+1)^2

f(-2) = -4
f(0) = 0
f(-1)=undef

My book is telling me that f(0) is the minima, and f(-2) is the maxima. I see it as the other way around. Which way is right? Explanations? Thank you!

The book is correct. For *local* min/max (as you have here) there are second-order conditions that can be applied: if f'(x0) = 0 and f''(x0) < 0 then x0 is a strict local maximum; if f'(x0) = 0 and f''(x0) > 0, x0 is a strict local minimum. Try these tests on your function.

This does not say anything about *global* max or min, and it does not prevent a local max from being less than a local min, which is the case in this problem.

RGV

I'd like to thank you both for your guidance. I will be looking into this further.

What is a local maximum?

A local maximum is a point on a graph where the function reaches its highest value within a specific interval, but it may not be the highest value on the entire graph.

What is a local minimum?

A local minimum is a point on a graph where the function reaches its lowest value within a specific interval, but it may not be the lowest value on the entire graph.

How can you identify local maxima and minima on a graph?

Local maxima can be identified by looking for peaks in the graph where the slope changes from positive to negative. Local minima can be identified by looking for valleys in the graph where the slope changes from negative to positive.

What is the significance of local maxima and minima in a function?

Local maxima and minima are important for understanding the behavior of a function and determining critical points. They can also be used to find the optimal solution in optimization problems.

What is the difference between local and global maxima and minima?

A local maximum or minimum is a point that is higher or lower than the points directly next to it, respectively. A global maximum or minimum is the highest or lowest point on the entire graph. Local extrema are found within a specific interval, while global extrema are found on the entire graph.