Intergration by parts for sin(x)cos(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of arriving at different-looking but equally valid answers in mathematics, using the examples of integration by parts and u-substitution. The speaker provides a third example of finding the same answer through a trig substitution. They explain that all these answers are essentially the same, differing only by a constant.
uzman1243
I know its easier to use the substitution method, by I'm trying to see how it'll work for integration by parts. I follow the LIATE method for integration by parts.

attachment.php?attachmentid=70182&stc=1&d=1401500731.jpg

Now if I take u=cos(x) and dv = sin(x), the answer changes.
attachment.php?attachmentid=70184&stc=1&d=1401501227.jpg

Can you please explain this to me? Which is the 'right' answer?

Attachments

• IMAG2553.jpg
    IMAG2553.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,592
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,027
Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than answer your question directly, let me provide another example of the same phenomenon that might make it easier to identify why both answers are correct.

If you compute ##\int (x+1)\ dx## using the sum rule for antiderivatives and the "reverse power rule", you get $$\int x+1\ dx=\frac{1}{2}x^2+x+C.$$ If instead you use a ##u##-sub, with ##u=x+1##, you get $$\int (x+1)\ dx=\int u\ du=\frac{1}{2}u^2+C=\frac{1}{2}(x+1)^2+C.$$

Now the exact same thing is happening in your example as is happening here; you have two different-looking answers that are both correct. How can that be?

Likes 1 person
And closer to home, let's do ##\int \sin(x) \cos(x) dx## a third way, using the trig substitution ##\sin(2x)=2\sin(x) \cos(x)##. Thus ##\int \sin(x) \cos(x) dx = \int \frac {\sin(2x)}2 dx = -\frac {\cos(2x)} 4 + C##.

To quote gopher_p,
gopher_p said:
How can that be?

Likes 1 person
dear friend , all these answers are different only by a constant, so they are the same answers.

Likes 1 person

1. How do I know when to use integration by parts for sin(x)cos(x)?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is a product of two functions. In the case of sin(x)cos(x), both sin(x) and cos(x) are present, making integration by parts a good method to try.

2. What is the formula for integration by parts for sin(x)cos(x)?

The formula for integration by parts is: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are two functions and du and dv are their respective differentials. For sin(x)cos(x), the formula would be: ∫sin(x)cos(x) dx = sin(x)cos(x) - ∫cos(x)(-sin(x)) dx.

3. Can I use integration by parts for sin(x)cos(x) multiple times?

Yes, you can use integration by parts multiple times, but it may not always lead to a simpler integral. It is important to try different methods and see which one yields the best result.

4. Are there any special rules for integration by parts for sin(x)cos(x)?

One special rule to keep in mind is that when integrating a trigonometric function, it is helpful to choose u and dv such that the new integral ∫v du is simpler than the original one. For sin(x)cos(x), choosing u = cos(x) and dv = sin(x) would be a good strategy.

5. Can I use integration by parts for sin(x)cos(x) in definite integrals?

Yes, you can use integration by parts for definite integrals as well. You will just need to evaluate the limits of integration at each step of the process. It may also be helpful to use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral before applying integration by parts.