Is 's' in Physics Notation Referring to Arc Length or Speed?

• Thread starter mill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, Equation 1 represents the derivative of the tension vector with respect to arc length, while Equation 2 represents the arc length as the integral of speed. In Equation 3, |v| represents the speed, and in Equation 4, ds/dt represents the change in distance with respect to time, or speed. This can be confusing because s is used to represent both arc length and speed in different contexts.
mill
Equation 1

##\frac {d\vec T} {ds}##

s=arc length=∫|v|dt

|v|=speed

ds/dt = |v|

(distance/time)Does the s from the notation of arc length or the notation of speed? derivative of arc length vs derivative of speed

I am getting confused because ds was referred to as distance in a video I watched, and I thought the s stood for the derivative of the arc length, but speed (s) is also being used around the textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
the [itex]s(t)[/itex] is notation for the distance traveled, therefore, the change in distance with respect to time is the speed, as opposed to the velocity, which is displacement over time.

1. What is notation?

Notation is a system of symbols or characters used to represent numbers, words, or musical or scientific concepts.

2. Why is notation important in science?

Notation is important in science because it allows for easy and consistent communication of complex ideas and data between scientists. It also allows for precise calculations and measurements.

3. What are some common notations used in science?

Some common notations used in science include mathematical symbols, chemical formulas, and scientific units of measurement such as meters, grams, and seconds.

4. How can I learn notation for a specific scientific field?

The best way to learn notation for a specific scientific field is to consult textbooks, scientific journals, and reputable online resources. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from experts in the field or attend workshops or classes.

5. Is there a standard notation used in all scientific fields?

No, there is not a standard notation used in all scientific fields. Each field may have its own specific conventions and symbols that are commonly used. It is important to be familiar with the notation used in your specific field of study.