How Does Concentration Affect Reaction Time and Rate Law?

In summary, the rate of the reaction is affected by doubling the concentration of both iodide and persulphate ions, resulting in a halving of the reaction time. The rate law for this reaction is r = k [I-] [S2O8^2-], where k is the rate constant and [I-] and [S2O8^2-] represent the concentrations of the respective ions. When the concentration of a reactant doubles, the rate also doubles, and the units of the rate constant are mol/(L*s).
ND3G
Mixture-----[I-] (mol/L)---[S2O8^2] (mol/L)---Time (s)
1---------------0.10--------------0.050-------------20
2---------------0.075-------------0.050-------------28
3---------------0.050-------------0.050-------------41
4---------------0.025-------------0.050-------------84

5---------------0.10--------------0.038-------------25
6---------------0.10--------------0.025-------------39
7---------------0.10--------------0.013-------------82

what is the effect of doubling the concentration of iodide ions? of doubling the persulphate ions? Write the rate law for the reaction

Answers:

Doubling the concentration of iodide ions cuts the reaction time in half.

Doubling the concentration of persulphate ions also cuts the reaction time in half.

Now the rate law portion is what is giving me problems. I think I understand it (kind of) but I'm not sure...

What I put down was r = k[A]

Does that look right?

If the increase in concentration has no effect then [A] will not be found in the rate-determining step.
If it doubles doubles when [A] doubles then [A]^1 = [A]

If [A] increases by a factor of 2, such as 2^2 or 3^2 then [A]^2 and so on...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the rate is mol/(L*s) and not s right?

Did they give you an equation or no?

1. What is the rate law for a reaction?

The rate law for a reaction is an equation that describes the relationship between the concentrations of reactants and the rate of the reaction. It is determined experimentally and can vary depending on the specific reaction.

2. How is the rate law determined?

The rate law is determined by conducting experiments where the initial concentrations of reactants are varied and the resulting rate of the reaction is measured. By analyzing the data, the rate law can be determined.

3. What factors affect the rate law?

The rate law can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of reactants, temperature, presence of a catalyst, and the physical state of the reactants (e.g. solid, liquid, gas).

4. Can the rate law change over time?

Yes, the rate law can change over time as the reaction progresses. This is because the concentrations of reactants and products may change, leading to a change in the overall rate of the reaction.

5. How does the rate law relate to the overall reaction order?

The overall reaction order is determined by adding the exponents of the concentrations of reactants in the rate law equation. For example, if the rate law is rate = k[A]^2[B], the overall reaction order would be 3 (2+1). The overall reaction order can also affect the rate of the reaction.