Question regarding the rate law of a reaction

In summary: When you factor B by 10, you decrease the rate by a factor of 10. So the reaction is also first-order in B. The rate law for the reaction is Rate = k[A][B] with first-order in both A and B. In summary, the data collected at 300K for the reaction A(g) + B(g) → products shows that the reaction is first-order in both A and B. The rate law for the reaction is Rate = k[A][B].
ShellDough

Homework Statement

Data in the table were collected at 300 K for the following reaction:

A(g) + B(g) → products
Concentration of A

Concentration of B

Initial Rate (M/s)
1.29x10^-29
1.33x10^-30
1.30x10^-29

Determine the rate law for the reaction.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Rate = k[A]^m^n, where m and n are the reaction orders.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the factor [A] increases by for trials 1 and 2, and got the value 0.1. I got a value of 0.103 for the rate that the initial rate changes from trial 1 to 2. From there, I get stuck. I had an equation that I used to try and find the reaction order for [A], but I can't seem to find it anywhere, and any other attempts to find the reaction order give me negative values such as -6, and impossibly large numbers. Please help!

Also, for some reason I can't see the homework template that keeps getting suggested to me. Is there a pdf download anywhere?[/B]

You have 3 equation in three unknowns, k, m, and n. The easiest way to do this problem is to take the log of both sides of the rate expression:

log(r) = log(k) + m log(A) + n log B

You have 3 values of A, 3 corresponding values of B, and 3 corresponding values of R. Substituting these into the above equation will give you 3 linear algebraic equations in the 3 unknowns, log (k), m, and n.

Quite simply, comparing the first two when you decrease the concentration of A by a factor of 10, you decrease the rate by practically a factor of 10. So that is telling you that the reaction is first-order in A. Now how about B?

1. What is the rate law of a reaction?

The rate law of a reaction is an equation that describes the relationship between the concentration of reactants and the rate of a chemical reaction. It is determined experimentally and can provide insight into the mechanism of a reaction.

2. How is the rate law determined?

The rate law is determined by conducting experiments in which the initial concentrations of reactants are varied and the rate of the reaction is measured. By comparing the initial concentrations and the corresponding rates, the rate law can be determined.

3. What factors affect the rate law?

The rate law is affected by temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of catalysts, and the nature of the reactants. These factors can alter the rate constant, the order of the reaction, or both.

4. Can the rate law change over time?

Yes, the rate law of a reaction can change over time as the concentrations of reactants and products change. This is particularly true for complex reactions involving multiple steps and intermediates.

5. How does the rate law relate to the overall reaction rate?

The rate law is directly related to the overall reaction rate. The rate law equation and the rate constant can be used to calculate the rate of the reaction at any given time, based on the concentrations of reactants present.