Spectral Family Definition

• Thread starter thegreenlaser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, Kreyszig's functional analysis book defines the spectral family of a self-adjoint operator as ##T_{\lambda} = T - \lambda I##, ##T_{\lambda}^+ = 1/2\left(\left(T_{\lambda}^2\right)^{1/2} + T_{\lambda}\right)##, and ##E_{\lambda}## as the projection onto the null space of ##T_{\lambda}^+## for ##\lambda \in \mathbb{R}##. This definition is a generalization of the finite dimensional case and is in agreement with intuition when applied to a diagonal hermitian matrix or a diagonal operator on an
thegreenlaser
I've been reading Kreyszig's functional analysis book, and I'm a little confused why he defines the spectral family of a self-adjoint operator the way he does. For an operator ##T## he defines ##T_{\lambda} = T - \lambda I##. Then he defines ##T_{\lambda}^+ = 1/2\left(\left(T_{\lambda}^2\right)^{1/2} + T_{\lambda}\right)##. Finally, he defines the spectral family ##E_{\lambda}## for ##\lambda \in \mathbb{R}## so that ##E_{\lambda}## projects onto the null space of ##T_{\lambda}^+##.

I realize that the definition works, but what motivates it? In the finite dimensional case, ##E_{\lambda}## was basically defined as projection onto all the eigenspaces corresponding to eigenvalues less than ##\lambda##. Presumably this definition is some sort of generalization of the finite dimensional case, but I'm having a tough time seeing how.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a diagonal hermitian matrix and work out the different concepts for that. Or take a diagonal operator on an infinite dimensional space. This is just an operator of the form

[tex]T(x) = \sum_{i\in I} \lambda_i <x,e_i>e_i[/tex]

where ##e_i## are an orthonormal basis of the (let's take a separable) Hilbert space. This is a generalization of diagonal matrices. Work out the different concepts for that. You will see that they agree with your intuition. That is already one reason to define the concepts like this.

1. What is a spectral family?

A spectral family is a group of molecules or compounds that share similar spectral characteristics, such as absorption or emission wavelengths, due to their chemical structure.

2. How is a spectral family defined?

A spectral family is defined by the presence of specific functional groups or chemical bonds that result in similar spectral properties among the molecules or compounds within the family.

3. What is the significance of defining spectral families?

Defining spectral families allows scientists to classify and identify unknown compounds based on their spectral properties, providing valuable information for fields such as analytical chemistry and environmental studies.

4. Can spectral families be used for quantitative analysis?

Yes, spectral families can be used for quantitative analysis, as the intensity of spectral peaks or bands can be correlated to the concentration of the compound in a sample. This is often used in spectroscopy techniques such as UV-Vis or IR spectroscopy.

5. How are spectral families useful in drug discovery?

Spectral families can aid in the identification and characterization of potential drug candidates, as similar compounds within a family may exhibit similar biological activity. This can help researchers narrow down the search for new drugs and optimize their structure for better efficacy and safety.