New to Quantum Physics? Get Started Here

In summary, if you are a high school student and want to learn quantum physics, you will need to know some classical physics. You will also need to know calculus, differential equations, complex numbers, and multivariable calculus.
Einherjar
:confused: Hello, i am new to quantum physics, i guess if someone could give me some advice about it, like websites, books or other types of information about quantum physics, as well as the basic physics and maths required to understand it...

Physics news on Phys.org
In Search of Schrodinger's Cat by John Gribbin
This one is not mainly on quantum theory but nevertheless, its awesome, The Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose

For the internet http://en.wikipedia.org"

Last edited by a moderator:
Einherjar said:
basic physics and maths required to understand it...

Before you start to learn quantum physics seriously, you need to know some classical physics, of course! :smile: At least you should know something about energy (both kinetic and potential), momentum, and waves.

To get started with Schrödinger's Equation and its simplest applications (one-dimensional situations), you need to know some differential and integral calculus, the basic concepts of differential equations, and some things about complex numbers. For further applications (three-dimensional situations including the hydrogen atom), you need to know multivariable calculus (partial derivatives, etc.).

Nothing quite like a firm grounding in a physicist's Linear Algebra (linear spaces, linear operators etc) nor Fourier Analysis either.

Has anyone got any opinions of the big paperback https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0964350416/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by the International University of Lex? I have looked at it several times in bookstores, and thought that although it was not for me, it might be a good introduction to the "real thing" for a math adept beginner.

But I'm not the one to tell it. I would really like to hear from a trained physicist whether it would help or hinder a seeker.

The same group has another matching volume called "Who was Fourier?". Similar questions arise there.

{Edited for book link and correction of author group name]

Last edited by a moderator:
Einherjar said:
:confused: Hello, i am new to quantum physics, i guess if someone could give me some advice about it, like websites, books or other types of information about quantum physics, as well as the basic physics and maths required to understand it...
I made an attempt a while back to construct a QM web site. Its at

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/qm/qm.htm

Its in the process of being built (which I'm taking time offf of right now) and is graduate level. Perhaps some of it may help you. Ask any questions that I can help with if something comes to mind. Reilly Atkinson is a poster here and his knowledge of QM is excellant. I recommend that you seek him out for help too.

Pete

Thank you all for the help and advices... I am not graduating or anything like it, i am in (i don't live in USA, nor in an English country), i think high school (don't know). We used to have Schrodinger Equation and some quantum in our Physics in the last year(12, I am in year 11), but for what i heard, it was taken out of the program:yuck: :cry: (only Newton's physics now, a little of electricity and thermodynamics, and the only thing studied at school was quantum orbitals and numbers for atoms in Chemistry 1s2,2s2, etc, you know it... BTW, our Physics are attached to chemistry, Physics and Chemistry A). Since i allways interested in physics, even (and specially the most advanced, even if i don't know too much), i wanted to fill this gap, even if i have to search for myself. So, one more time i thank you all for the support.

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of the universe at a microscopic level.

2. Why is quantum physics important?

Quantum physics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of nature and enables us to develop new technologies, such as computers, lasers, and medical imaging devices. It also allows us to explore the mysteries of the universe, such as black holes and the origins of the universe.

3. What are the key concepts in quantum physics?

Some key concepts in quantum physics include superposition, entanglement, uncertainty principle, and wave-particle duality. These concepts challenge our classical understanding of the world and provide a new perspective on how matter and energy behave.

4. How do I get started learning about quantum physics?

To get started learning about quantum physics, it is important to have a solid foundation in mathematics and classical physics. You can then start by reading introductory books or taking online courses. It is also helpful to stay updated on current research and attend lectures or conferences on quantum physics.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum physics?

Some real-world applications of quantum physics include quantum computing, cryptography, and secure communication. Other applications include medical imaging, quantum sensors, and quantum materials for advanced technologies. Research in quantum physics also has potential for advancements in energy production and transportation.