Calculate the Second Ionization Energy of Lithium

In summary, the conversation discusses the total energy and first ionization energy of Li and the equations used to solve for E2 and E3. The energy of a single electron is also mentioned and explained as the energy needed to ionize a species. The concept of a mole is also brought up.
pasido

Homework Statement

vMAiZ.png

Given
-Total Energy for [itex]Li \rightarrow Li ^{3+} = 1.960 * 10^{4} kJ/mol[/itex]

-First Ionization Energy of Li = [itex]5.20 * 10^{2} kJ/mol[/itex]

Homework Equations

Other than the equation in the image, I used the equation:
Etotal = E1 + E2 + E3

The Attempt at a Solution

Since Etotal and E1 are given, I have E2 and E3 left to solve.

To solve for E3, I used the equation in the picture.

Li^2+= A hydrogen atom (1 electron), I used the equation in the picture to solve for the energy for a single electron. Energy = -1.962*10^-17 J

The problem is, I don't know what to do with that number. How do I convert energy of a single electron to ionization energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
That energy is the energy you need to supply to the electron in order to overcome coulombic forces, i.e. to ionize the species. Simple enough.

pasido said:
How do I convert energy of a single electron to ionization energy?

What is a mole?

What is the definition of second ionization energy?

Second ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove a second electron from an atom or ion that has already lost one electron.

Why is the second ionization energy of lithium higher than the first?

The second ionization energy of lithium is higher than the first because after losing one electron, the remaining electrons are held more tightly by the nucleus, making it more difficult to remove a second electron.

How is the second ionization energy of lithium calculated?

The second ionization energy of lithium is calculated by subtracting the first ionization energy from the total energy required to completely remove two electrons from an atom or ion of lithium.

What is the trend of second ionization energy across the periodic table?

The trend of second ionization energy across the periodic table is that it generally increases from left to right and from bottom to top, as the number of protons and the strength of the nucleus increases.

How does the second ionization energy of lithium compare to that of other elements?

The second ionization energy of lithium is relatively low compared to other elements, as it only has three electrons and a relatively weak attraction between the nucleus and the remaining electrons. It is higher than the first ionization energy, but lower than the second ionization energy of larger elements with more protons and electrons.