Ionization energy and energy levels

In summary: of an electron as a soccer ball, with different shells corresponding to different levels of energy within the atom)--has been removed.
ilovepudding
TL;DR Summary
Is ionization energy equal to the required energy to remove the valence electron or to remove one of the two electrons in the K shell?
Hi,
The ionization energy is defined as the minimum amount of energy required to remove the most loosely bound electron, the valence electron, of an isolated neutral gaseous atom.

Our physics teacher also told us while explaining this concept in the context of energy levels, that it is equal to the energy of the ground state, that is the closest shell to the nucleus.

Now, he explained that using a hydrogen atom so I kinda got the point. But how about a lithium atom? Is ionization energy equal to the required energy to remove the valence electron or to remove one of the two electrons in the K shell?

I think I am missing something here, but I don't know what exactly. HELP.

Physics news on Phys.org
ilovepudding said:
Summary:: Is ionization energy equal to the required energy to remove the valence electron or to remove one of the two electrons in the K shell?

Hi,
The ionization energy is defined as the minimum amount of energy required to remove the most loosely bound electron, the valence electron, of an isolated neutral gaseous atom.

Our physics teacher also told us while explaining this concept in the context of energy levels, that it is equal to the energy of the ground state, that is the closest shell to the nucleus.

Now, he explained that using a hydrogen atom so I kinda got the point. But how about a lithium atom? Is ionization energy equal to the required energy to remove the valence electron or to remove one of the two electrons in the K shell?

I think I am missing something here, but I don't know what exactly. HELP.
It is the energy required to remove one electron (the most loosely bound) from the neutral atom (it can be also applied to molecules but let's stick with atoms). Hydrogen is not a useful example to explain ionization energy in general, I agree.

See for example http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Chemical/ionize.html

ilovepudding said:

This doesn't make sense. The ionization energy can be thought of as the difference in energy between the ground state of the neutral atom and the single ionized state (where one electron is free and the remaining ones are still in the energy levels they were in before). But that's not the same as the energy of the ground state, or the energy of an electron in the closest shell to the nucleus.

If the ionization energy is the difference between the the ground state of the neutral atom and the single ionized state, it should allow the electron in the closest shell to the nucleus to jump all the way out of the atom and become a free electron right? We shouldn't be talking about the valence electron anymore, because the valence electron would require a tiny bit of energy compared to that difference between the ground state of the neutral atom and the single ionized state.

PeterDonis said:
This doesn't make sense. The ionization energy can be thought of as the difference in energy between the ground state of the neutral atom and the single ionized state (where one electron is free and the remaining ones are still in the energy levels they were in before). But that's not the same as the energy of the ground state, or the energy of an electron in the closest shell to the nucleus.
True but in the case of hydrogen, the ionization energy is minus the energy of the state. They are not equal but they differ only in sign so I can see why someone could cut corners and say that they are "equal" (really meaning that the ionization energy is the absolute value).

Likes ilovepudding
ilovepudding said:
If the ionization energy is the difference between the the ground state of the neutral atom and the single ionized state, it should allow the electron in the closest shell to the nucleus to jump all the way out of the atom and become a free electron right?

Not unless the atom is hydrogen (or helium, strictly speaking, which also has electrons in only one shell in its ground state).

In any other atom, the electron that is getting removed when going to the singly ionized state is not the electron in the lowest shell.

ilovepudding said:
We shouldn't be talking about the valence electron anymore, because the valence electron would require a tiny bit of energy compared to that difference between the ground state of the neutral atom and the single ionized state.

You appear to misunderstand what "singly ionized state" means. It means the state in which the valence electron--or more precisely one of the electrons in the outermost shell, since not all atoms have just one and not all of those electrons are valence electrons (think of noble gases)--is removed. In other words, it's the state in which one of the electrons that takes the least energy to remove from the atom, is removed. That least energy is the ionization energy.

Likes ilovepudding
nrqed said:
in the case of hydrogen, the ionization energy is minus the energy of the state

That depends on how you define the zero of energy. I agree that the definition of the zero as the energy of the state in which no particles are bound is common, and by that definition, for hydrogen only, the ionization energy is minus the energy of the ground state. But since that is only true for that one special case and for that one choice of the energy zero point, it doesn't seem very useful to me as a pedagogical guide.

Likes ilovepudding
ilovepudding said:
If the ionization energy is the difference between the the ground state of the neutral atom and the single ionized state, it should allow the electron in the closest shell to the nucleus to jump all the way out of the atom and become a free electron right? We shouldn't be talking about the valence electron anymore, because the valence electron would require a tiny bit of energy compared to that difference between the ground state of the neutral atom and the single ionized state.
The ionization energy is defined as the energy required to remove the least bound electron. So it is not an electron in the closes shell unless you are dealing with Hydrogen or Helium.
It does not necessarily take a tiny bit of energy! Look at the graph I linked to in my previous post. In atoms with filled shells, it takes a lot of energy to remove an electron even in the outer shells. In alkali atoms, when the lest bound electron is alone in a shell, it does take much less energy indeed.

Likes ilovepudding
so what this is saying is that, in general, the ground state is not necessarily the lowest shell, right? It's the state in which the electrons of the valence shell are as low as they can possibly be, correct me if i am wrong.

ilovepudding said:
so what this is saying is that, in general, the ground state is not necessarily the lowest shell, right?

No. You seem to misunderstand what "ground state" means. "Ground state" means that it is not possible for any electron in the atom to move to a lower energy shell than it is currently in. It is a state of the atom as a whole; it is not a state of any particular energy shell.

ilovepudding said:
It's the state in which the electrons of the valence shell are as low as they can possibly be

This is true of all the electrons in the ground state, not just the electrons of the valence shell.

Okay, thanks for the clarification, I understand now.

PeterDonis said:
That depends on how you define the zero of energy. I agree that the definition of the zero as the energy of the state in which no particles are bound is common, and by that definition, for hydrogen only, the ionization energy is minus the energy of the ground state. But since that is only true for that one special case and for that one choice of the energy zero point, it doesn't seem very useful to me as a pedagogical guide.
I agree completely, which is why I kept emphasizing it when my comments applied to hydrogen only. This is also why in post 2 I mentioned that hydrogen was not a good example to focus on for this topic since it can be misleading.

Cheers!

1. What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule in its gaseous state. It is typically measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol) or electron volts (eV).

2. How does ionization energy relate to energy levels?

Ionization energy is directly related to the energy levels of an atom. The higher the energy level an electron occupies, the more energy is required to remove it. This is because electrons in higher energy levels are held more tightly by the nucleus.

3. What factors affect the ionization energy of an atom?

The ionization energy of an atom is affected by the number of protons in the nucleus, the distance between the nucleus and the outermost electrons, and the shielding effect of inner electrons. Generally, the ionization energy increases as the number of protons increases and as the distance between the nucleus and outermost electrons decreases.

4. How does ionization energy vary across the periodic table?

Ionization energy tends to increase from left to right across a period in the periodic table. This is because as you move from left to right, the number of protons and the effective nuclear charge increase, making it more difficult to remove an electron. Ionization energy also tends to decrease as you move down a group in the periodic table, as the outermost electrons are farther from the nucleus and experience less attraction.

5. Why do noble gases have high ionization energies?

Noble gases have high ionization energies because they have full valence electron shells. This means that their outermost energy level is completely filled, making it difficult to remove an electron. This stability is why noble gases are generally unreactive.