What is the Force of Air-bag Deployment on an 89 kg Person in a Car Crash?

• Thread starter MissKaylaPaige
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
So, it would be F=mg, where m is the mass and g is the acceleration due to gravity. In summary, the maximum acceleration during a car crash should not exceed 60 g's and should not last more than 36 ms. To find the force of an air-bag on an 89 kg person, the equation F=m*a can be used, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. However, this equation assumes that the body is taking the full force without any resistance from the driver or decrease from the airbag. To express the force in terms of the person's weight, the equation F=mg can be used, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. It
MissKaylaPaige

Homework Statement

Maximum acceleration during a car crash should not exceed 60 g's and should not last more than 36 ms. Find force of air-bag on an 89 kg person.

Homework Equations

I was given no equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need the equation really!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the equation for this is F=m*a.

The accelleration should then be the equivalent of 60g's (if that is what the problem is suggesting), and the mass equal to 89 kg. I'm not sure why you would need the time of the crash, but generally, the force would then be:

F=89*60*9.81=52,385.4N.

However, this is only if the body is taking the full force. Basically, there is no resistance from the driver, and the airbag does not decrease the accelleration.

I hope I helped, the question was fairly vague, please add an attempt next time.

Okay, my homework is submitted online, and that is exactly what I did and it told me I was wrong. I didn't put any attempts because I thought they were horribly wrong because I did F=m*a and it didn't work. But that's what I originally got. And yes, my homework questions are horribly vague. I've been working on this problem since last night!

If that is what you originally got, then why didn't you put up your attempt?

Because when I submitted it to my homework website it told me I was wrong, so I figured I was doing the wrong thing.

Well, what we generally do is you add your attempt and we look for what was wrong with it. It is harder to go off of a singular problem when we do not know what section in physics you are specifically studying. A problem like that could be attributed to other physics such as thermodynamics and the rising heat from the airbag.

However: Just in case, have you checked whether you are entering the correct sigfigs? Sometimes those trip up people who arn't ready for the computer to be sentitive about them.

Last edited:
I apologize. I think it may be an error with the website rather than being unable to figure it out. It's a very simple force problem, it's not meant to have any other particular fields involved.

Alright, I figured out the bug, the website was being finicky about the significant figures.

I now need to express the force in terms of the persons weight. I have no idea what that means.

I think it is implying that it wants you to give the equation for the force with the person's weight as a variable.

1. What is the purpose of airbag deployment in vehicles?

The purpose of airbag deployment in vehicles is to provide a cushioning effect and reduce the impact of a collision on the driver and passengers. This can help prevent serious injuries or fatalities in car accidents.

2. How does an airbag deploy?

An airbag deploys through a series of sensors and a control unit. When a collision is detected, the sensors send a signal to the control unit, which then triggers the airbag to inflate rapidly with gas. This process happens in a matter of milliseconds.

3. What factors determine the force of airbag deployment?

The force of airbag deployment is determined by the speed and severity of the collision. The sensors and control unit measure the deceleration of the vehicle and deploy the airbag with an appropriate amount of force to provide cushioning.

4. Can airbags be too forceful and cause injuries?

Yes, airbags can be too forceful and cause injuries if they deploy with too much force or if the person is too close to the airbag. Modern airbags are designed to deploy with less force for smaller occupants and to adjust the inflation based on the severity of the crash.

5. How often should airbags be replaced?

Airbags do not typically need to be replaced unless they have deployed in a previous accident. However, it is recommended to have them inspected by a certified mechanic every 10 years to ensure they are functioning properly and to replace them if necessary.