Calculating the force (Homework question)

In summary: C3F29D for more information.In summary, a boy is trying to find a equation to solve a physics question but doesn't know what a is. He is told that there are five SUVAT equations that involve four of a certain five variables. One of the equations is effectively the work conservation equation, but with mass canceled out.
Tony09_
Hello users,

Im a boy whos in high school and has physics as a school subject. I'm not the best in physics at all and next week I'm going to have a 3-chapter test about physics. The teacher gave us some practice material and I struggle with this question, anyone that could help me?

1. Homework Statement

A car (920kg) with a driver (80kg) drives with a constant speed of 36km/h. The car crashes into a tree. The car hood is dented with a length of 50cm. Consider the crash uniformily retarded.

a) What is the force that the tree practises on the car?

(I already know the answer, which is 1.0 * 10^5N

2. Homework Equations

F(res)= m(kg) * a(m/s2)??

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I don't have any idea where to start (I'm not the best in physics)

Physics news on Phys.org
So you are trying to find F, you know m. You need to figure out what a is. Do you know of any relevant equations involving a?

lewando said:
So you are trying to find F, you know m. You need to figure out what a is. Do you know of any relevant equations involving a?
Yes a = delta V / delta T but since there is no time mentioned it has no use i think. The formula above is what i thought what was needed to solve it but it seems that it isn't the one I'm looking for

Do you have any relevant kinematic equations that do not involve t?

lewando said:
Do you have any relevant kinematic equations that do not involve t?
No, sadly not. The only other equations mentioned in the chapter (where the question is based on) are :
F ( force ) gravity = mass (kg) * gravity (9.81 based on the gravity of the netherlands in m/s2)
P(rho) = mass / volume (m3)
W (work) = F * s (distance made in direction of force in meters)

I study in the netherlands so all the equations are originally stated in dutch so there may be bad translation. But there are a few more but those are difficult to translate in english

Tony09_ said:
W (work) = F * s (distance made in direction of force in meters)
Try that one. You will need another equation relating motion to energy.

By the way, you can delete "in meters".

If the phrase "consider the crash uniformily retarded" implies that the velocity during the impact period is changing uniformly with time (which I think it does), then, for this special case, there is a useful formua for average velocity: vx,average = (vx,initial + vx,final)/2. The equation: distance = rate * time can used with vx,average as the rate to find t.

lewando said:
If the phrase "consider the crash uniformily retarded" implies that the velocity during the impact period is changing uniformly with time (which I think it does), then, for this special case, there is a useful formua for average velocity: vx,average = (vx,initial + vx,final)/2. The equation: distance = rate * time can used with vx,average as the rate to find t.
As you indicated in post #4, it is not necessary to find t.

@Tony09_, the five SUVAT equations each involve four of a certain five variables. So one of them only uses s, u, v and a. This one is effectively the work conservation equation (see post #6), but with mass canceled out.

I was never one for learning formulas, much better at remembering the underlying principles and how to derive formulas. But I always found it worth knowing the five SUVAT equations. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equat...translational_acceleration_in_a_straight_line.

What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

How do I calculate the force of an object?

To calculate the force of an object, you will need to know the mass of the object and its acceleration. You can then use the formula F = m x a to calculate the force.

What units are used to measure force?

The standard unit for force is Newtons (N). Other commonly used units include pounds (lb) and kilograms (kg). It is important to make sure that all values used in the calculation are in the same unit.

Can force be negative?

Yes, force can be negative. This typically occurs when the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of motion. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the force when using it in calculations.

How can I check if my force calculation is correct?

To check if your force calculation is correct, you can use the equation F = m x a and plug in your values for mass and acceleration. Make sure to double check that all units are consistent and that you are using the correct formula. You can also use online calculators or ask a peer or teacher to verify your answer.