Understanding the Inverse Kahler Metric: Exploring Singularities

• Thread starter BenTheMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the question asks what happens if you calculate the inverse Kahler metric and it's singular. The answer is that it's possible for the Kahler metric to be singular, which means that the SUSY ground state is not satisfied.
BenTheMan
If you want some background on this question (i.e. why I'm asking), let me know.

But either way, this is a basic (stupid) question: what happens if you calculate the inverse Kahler metric and it's singular?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, a bit more details. And I think I see the problem.

Seiberg and Nelson claim that U(1)R -> broken SUSY, except in some special cases. This proof hinges on a redefinition of fields so that you can factor the superpotential into a part that has R charge and one that doesn't:

W = T f(a,b,c,...)

where T has r charge 2, and all of the other fields have r charge 0. What I didn't realize an hour ago is that this redefinition probably means that your fields aren't canonically normalized---i.e. at least ONE of them looks like A/X, where A and X are two chiral superfields.

You run into problems when T = 0...specifically, when T = 0, it could be that some other field, say a, can be zero, eg a = 0, and you can satisfy the F=0 constraints with a good U(1)R, so you might be fooled and think that you have a SUSY ground state. In the specific example I'm looking at (and probably more generally), a = A/x and T = X (this is a simple ORaifeartaigh model):

[tex]\mathcal{W} =\frac{1}{2} h X A^2 + mAB + gX[/tex].

In terms of the new fields:

[tex]\mathcal{W} = T \{\frac{1}{2}h a^2 + mab + g \}, [/tex]

where g is the dimensionful constant, not a field!

Anyway, this means that when you now compute the scalar potential, you have to write

[tex]V \sim F_i \bar{F}_{\bar{j}} K^{i\bar{j}}[/tex]

i.e. the Kahler metric is no longer flat. In the case I am describing, when T = 0, the new Kahler metric (in terms of non-canonical fields) is now singular.

So it seems I have a bit of a hole: I know that F = 0, but K = infinity. Obviously something weird is happening. In terms of the original OR model, SUSY is clearly broken (SUSY is broken everywhere). But how do I see that SUSY breaking in terms of the new fields?

I suspect that there's something to do with a singular Kahler matrix, but I'd like a reference to a paper, or a gentle pat on the head with a "Good boy", or something.

Last edited:
Grrr...

Is it a bad question, or does no one know the answer? Feel free to tell me I'm a dumbass :)

1. What is the Kahler Metric?

The Kahler Metric is a mathematical tool used in differential geometry to measure the distance between points on a complex manifold. It takes into account both the complex and symplectic structures of the manifold, making it a powerful and versatile tool in various fields of physics and mathematics.

2. How is the Kahler Metric defined?

The Kahler Metric is defined as a Hermitian metric on a complex manifold that satisfies the Kahler condition, which states that its associated two-form is closed. In simpler terms, it is a way of assigning a distance between points on a complex manifold that is compatible with its complex and symplectic structures.

3. What are the applications of the Kahler Metric?

The Kahler Metric has many applications in theoretical physics, including in string theory, quantum field theory, and general relativity. It is also used in mathematics, specifically in algebraic and differential geometry, complex analysis, and topology. It has also been applied in computer science and engineering for data analysis and machine learning algorithms.

4. Can the Kahler Metric be generalized to other manifolds?

Yes, the concept of a Kahler Metric can be generalized to other types of manifolds, such as Fano and Calabi-Yau manifolds. These manifolds have different geometric structures, but they still possess a Hermitian metric that satisfies the Kahler condition. The generalization of the Kahler Metric has been crucial in many modern developments in theoretical physics and mathematics.

5. How does the Kahler Metric relate to other metrics in geometry?

The Kahler Metric is a special case of the more general Hermitian metric, which in turn is a special case of the Riemannian metric. The Riemannian metric is the most commonly used metric in differential geometry, and the Kahler Metric is a natural extension of it to complex manifolds. The Kahler Metric also has connections to other metrics, such as the Ricci curvature and the Calabi-Yau metric.