Exploring Metrics Before the Big Bang: What Does Zero Mean?

In summary, exploring metrics before the Big Bang is crucial for understanding the origins of the universe. The term "zero" in this context refers to the state of the universe before the Big Bang, a hypothetical point of infinite density and temperature. Scientists study metrics before the Big Bang through theoretical models and mathematical equations, using data from cosmic microwave background radiation and other cosmological observations. Understanding metrics before the Big Bang could lead to a deeper understanding of fundamental laws of physics and the origins of our universe, as well as potential insights into other universes and the nature of time and space. However, there is currently no conclusive evidence or consensus among scientists on this topic.
Physics4Funn
TL;DR Summary
Discussions of before the Big Bang. When t=0 for the universe, one idea is that the metric is zero.
I know about these metrics
Euclidean metric
Einstein manifold
Riemannian, pseudo-Riemannian manifolds or Riemannian space
Lorentzian manifold
Minkowski space
Kähler manifold
Schwarzschild metric
Kerr, Kerr–Newman metrics
Reissner–Nordström metric
inverse or conjugate or dual metric
Induced metric

But in discussions of what happens before the Big Bang, some are saying that at t=0, the metric is zero.
I wonder what that means.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics4Funn said:
Summary:: Discussions of before the Big Bang. When t=0 for the universe, one idea is that the metric is zero.

in discussions of what happens before the Big Bang, some are saying that at t=0, the metric is zero.
Please provide a reference for this

Likes Ibix
Likes Dale
"Somewhere in this 67 minute video is the reference you want". Really?

What does a zeroi metric even mean? (0,0,0,0)?

Likes vanhees71
I am sorry Vanadium.
Did you want a reference to somewhere in a paper?
I haven't found any of Eric Ling's papers online yet.

So a zero metric = (0,0,0,0)?
Is it just a simple fact like 0=0?
Is it just an imponderable like 'What is infinity?'
I haven't heard before of anyone considering what before the Big Bang was like.

Near the end of the talk the speaker referenced other researchers who were investigating this subject also. But I didn't get their names.

I hope that my post was not inappropriate.

Physics4Funn said:
I am sorry Vanadium.
Did you want a reference to somewhere in a paper?

So a zero metric = (0,0,0,0)?
Is it just a simple fact like 0=0?
Is it just an imponderable like 'What is infinity?'

Near the end of the talk the speaker referenced other researchers who were investigating this subject also. But I didn't get their names.

I hope that my post was not inappropriate.
This is not "A" level analysis, though.

Whatever Eric Ling is presenting in that video is significantly more advanced and sophisticated than ##0 = 0## or pondering the nature of infinity!

Likes berkeman
Physics4Funn said:
Eric Ling, Rutgers University, “Spacetime extensions of the big bang”
http://causal-fermion-system.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/abstract-ling.pdf
is the seminar.
Other references were mentioned in the talk, but I didn't catch them, and I haven't yet re-watched the seminar to pick them out.
I skimmed through the presentation twice but didn’t see where he discussed a zero metric. Can you be more specific?

My guess is, and i might be wrong, that by zero metric you mean ##C^0## metric. You just didn't think that the "c" was important. If i am right and if you don't know what that means, then you are not ready for the talk in the video.

Physics4Funn said:

Then go find one.

Physics4Funn said:

Then you apparently have not read anything about inflation models, particularly "eternal inflation" models. And that means your level of knowledge is nowhere near what is appropriate for an "A" level discussion.

Physics4Funn said:
a zero metric

...is nonsense. If you want to show otherwise, find a peer-reviewed paper that explains what a "zero metric" is and why the concept is meaningful.

In the meantime, this thread is closed.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the concept of "zero" in relation to the Big Bang?

The concept of "zero" in relation to the Big Bang refers to the idea of a singularity, a point at which all matter and energy in the universe were compressed into a single infinitely small and dense point. This singularity has a value of zero in terms of space and time, as it marks the beginning of the universe.

2. How do scientists measure and explore metrics before the Big Bang?

Scientists use various theoretical models and mathematical equations, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity, to explore metrics before the Big Bang. They also use data from observations of cosmic microwave background radiation and other astronomical phenomena to make predictions and test these theories.

3. Is it possible to truly understand what happened before the Big Bang?

The concept of "before" the Big Bang is currently beyond our understanding and may not even be a valid question, as time and space as we know them did not exist before the Big Bang. While scientists continue to study and explore this topic, it is currently not possible to fully understand what happened before the Big Bang.

4. What are some potential implications of understanding metrics before the Big Bang?

Understanding metrics before the Big Bang could provide insight into the origins and evolution of the universe, as well as the fundamental laws of physics. It could also potentially shed light on the concept of time and the possibility of multiple universes.

5. Are there any competing theories or explanations for the metrics before the Big Bang?

Yes, there are various competing theories and explanations for the metrics before the Big Bang, such as the cyclic model and the ekpyrotic universe theory. These theories propose alternative explanations for the initial singularity and the events leading up to the Big Bang, but they are still being studied and debated by scientists.