Double integral of piecewise function

In summary, the conversation discusses computing the double integrals of a function over a given region. The reasoning presented involves the use of dydx integral and the concept of Lebesgue measure. It is suggested that the integration over x results in a value of 1, and since the function is bounded, the other integral has the same value. However, it is also mentioned that the region can be divided into two sets based on the rationality of x, where the second set has two-dimensional Lebesgue measure of 0.
Dr. Lady

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y)= 1 if x is rational, 2*y if x is irrational
Compute both double integrals of f(x,y) over [0,1]x[0,1]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm tempted to say that we can do the dydx integral since when x is rational, integrating y gives squares of area=1 and when x is irrational, we get triangles of area 1, so when we integrate over x, we just get 1. Then, since f(x,y) is bounded, the other integral has the same value.

Is this reasoning any good at all, or am I just crazy?

Physics news on Phys.org
(disclaimer... I don't know too much about it myself, so apologies if i confuse the issue)

but could this have something to do with Lebesgue measure, and one of those sets having Lebesgue measure of zero?

Last edited:
Dr. Lady said:

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y)= 1 if x is rational, 2*y if x is irrational
Compute both double integrals of f(x,y) over [0,1]x[0,1]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm tempted to say that we can do the dydx integral since when x is rational, integrating y gives squares of area=1 and when x is irrational, we get triangles of area 1, so when we integrate over x, we just get 1. Then, since f(x,y) is bounded, the other integral has the same value.

Is this reasoning any good at all, or am I just crazy?
I don't know what you mean by "integrating y gives squares of area 1" or "we get triangles of area 1" integrating with respect to y gives a number as does integrating first with respect to x. If you were doing this with as a Riemann integral the crucial point would be that any region in the plane, no matter how small, contains points (x,y) in which x is rational as well as points in which x is irrational. If you are doing this as a Lebesque integral, You can, as lanedance suggests, divide the region into the set {(x, y)| x rational} and {(x,y)| x irrational}. and the second set has two dimensional Lebesque measure 0.

1. What is a double integral of a piecewise function?

A double integral of a piecewise function is the process of finding the area under a two-dimensional graph where the function is defined by different equations for different intervals.

2. How is a double integral of a piecewise function evaluated?

A double integral of a piecewise function is evaluated by breaking down the given region into smaller subregions and integrating each subregion separately using the appropriate equation for that interval.

3. What are the applications of double integrals of piecewise functions?

Double integrals of piecewise functions have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, moments of inertia, and probabilities in real-world problems.

4. What are some common techniques for solving double integrals of piecewise functions?

Some common techniques for solving double integrals of piecewise functions include using iterated integrals, converting to polar coordinates, and applying the change of variables method.

5. Are there any special cases of double integrals of piecewise functions?

Yes, there are special cases of double integrals of piecewise functions such as when one of the functions is constant over the entire region or when the region can be divided into simple shapes with known formulas for calculating their areas.