Share this thread:
ossamawww
Jun17-14, 07:39 AM
P: 2
it is known that the standard combustion enthalpy of methane is -882 kJ/mol

CH4 + 2 O2 --> CO2 + 2 H2O Hc = -882 kJ

based on hess's law, if a reaction is reversed, so does with the enthalpy

CO2 + 2 H2O --> CH4 + 2 O2 Hc = +882 kJ

which makes the reversed reaction become endothermic. if the system provides enough heat for the reaction (+882 kJ) to be absorbed, would the reaction just simply happen ?? or is there anything else to be considered ?

help me plz……
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Marine pest provides advances in maritime anti-fouling and biomedicine
Nature inspires a greener way to make colorful plastics
New catalyst converts carbon dioxide to fuel
Borek
Jun17-14, 07:59 AM
Admin
P: 23,397
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabatier_process

It is almost never as easy as just supplying the heat.
DrDu
Jun17-14, 09:37 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,564
You should also take in mind that this is not the only possible reaction. Especially you will also get carbon monoxide, CO, and elementary carbon. That's why you will probably never get methane when heating CO2 and water.

ossamawww
Jun17-14, 09:55 AM
P: 2
Produce Methane Via CO2 + H2O ???

wait…..the enthalpy of sabatier process is negative, while the reversed-reaction above is positive. so i think it is quite different.

if i increase the temperature, the equilibrium will shift to the right (product region). increasing pressure would not affect the equilibrium since the product and reactant region have the same reaction coefficient. and the need of catalyst (?).

i have read about how fuel could be produced if carbon dioxide and water reacted with sunlight + catalyst (it's called 'artificial photosynthesis'), but it's a bit arduous to find and synthesize the appropriate catalyst.

some people reported that they found methanol and formic acid, instead of methane.

i just wanted to know if it's possible to carry out the reversed-reaction without sunlight and catalyst, based on thermochemistry approach, not photochemistry approach. (by provide sufficient heat or find any catalyst maybe ?)

what should i seek ?

thank youuu

Register to reply