Writing correct physical equation for mixing process

In summary, the conversation revolved around the process of water mixing and the equations needed to describe the changes in level and temperature in the tank. The main focus was on determining the correct equation for temperature, with one equation being proposed and another being seen as more accurate. Mass conservation and heat transfer were also taken into consideration. In the end, the final equation proposed was dT/dt = (F1*(T1-T) + F2*(T2-T)) / (A*level).
Micko
Hello to all,

I want to analyze and make model of the water mixing process as shown in file in attacment. Basically, there are two input variables: input hot water flow and cold water flow. There is constant flow FL3. I need to write equation that describe how level and tank's temperature is changing. Equation for the level is:
dh/dt=(FL1(t)+FL2(t)-FL3(t))/Area;

And I need to figure out what equation to use to describe temperature.
At first I thought that this is correct equation:
V*dT/dt = Fl1*T1+Fl2*T2-(FL1+FL2)*T
But I have saw different equation:
V*dT/dt = Fl1*T1+Fl2*T2-FL3*T

Which of these is correct?
I know that these equations should be derived from heat equations m*C*(Ta-Tb), but not sure how to do this.
Can you help?

Attachments

• Process.jpg
    Process.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
I've been doing some research and think I got it right, but need confirmation.
Mass must be conserved, so dm1/dt+dm2/dt-dm3/dt = mass accumulation in
the tank.
Now from the heat point of view, there is a heat going into tank through
flows F1 and F2, there is heat coming out of the tank through flow F3,
and there is heat that is contained in the tank.
Sincefluid is water, I assume same density and specific heat, so I
have:
V1*T1+V2*T2-V3*T3 = V*T(T is temperature in the tank, and V is
current volume in the tank, V1, V2 are volumes coming into tank).
Now, since I need to know how T3 is changed, I need to find derivation
of above's equation:
F1*T1+F2*T2-F3*T = d(V*T)/dt
Further, I have:
F1*T1+F2*T2-F3*T = T*dV/dt+ V*dT/dt
Since tanks is assumed to be cylinder, cross section area A is
constanst:
F1*T1+F2*T2-F3*T = A*T*dLevel/dt+A*Level*dT/dt
So final equation is:

dT3/dt = (F1*T1+F2*T2-F3*T-A*T*dLevel/dt)/(A*level)

Please can you confirm this?
Maybe, I missed something

In the attachment you can see how process looks like. I hope my temperature equation is good:
dT/dt = (F1*T1+F2*T2-F3*T-A*T*dLevel/dt)/(A*level)
If we write differential equation for level:
A*dLevel/dt = F1+F2-F3 now temperature equation becomes even simpler:
dT/dt = (F1*(T1-T) + F2*(T2-T)) / (A*level)
Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• Tank.pdf
    8.8 KB · Views: 521

1. How do I determine the correct physical equation for a mixing process?

To determine the correct physical equation for a mixing process, you will need to consider the properties of the substances being mixed, such as their density, viscosity, and chemical composition. You may also need to take into account external factors, such as temperature and pressure. Conducting experiments and utilizing mathematical modeling techniques can help in determining the appropriate equation.

2. What are the key components of a correct physical equation for a mixing process?

The key components of a correct physical equation for a mixing process include the variables that affect the mixing, such as the properties of the substances being mixed, the rate of mixing, and any external factors. It should also include any necessary constants or coefficients to accurately represent the process.

3. How can I ensure the accuracy of my physical equation for a mixing process?

To ensure the accuracy of your physical equation for a mixing process, it is important to gather reliable data and carefully consider all of the factors that may influence the mixing. You can also compare your equation to experimental results to verify its accuracy.

4. Can a single physical equation be used for all types of mixing processes?

No, a single physical equation cannot be used for all types of mixing processes. Each mixing process may have different variables and factors that need to be taken into account, so a specific equation will be needed for each process.

5. How can I incorporate the effects of turbulence into my physical equation for a mixing process?

The effects of turbulence can be incorporated into a physical equation for a mixing process by including terms for turbulence intensity and turbulent diffusivity. These terms can be determined through experiments or by utilizing empirical correlations.