Capacitance of a forward biased diode

The depletion zone, while reduced in width, still exists and has a potential difference across it. Therefore, a forward biased p-n junction can exhibit capacitive behavior as long as the bias is not too large. In summary, a forward biased p-n junction can display capacitive effects due to the potential difference between each part of the diode and the presence of a reduced depletion zone.
akhil123
How does a forward biased p-n junction display capacitive effect? I understand that a reverse biased diode can exhibit capacitance with the depletion region acting as a dielectric, but in a forward biased junction, depletion region does not exist,so how does it show capacitive behaviour?

Physics news on Phys.org
I may be wrong because I don't know a lot about the physics of semiconductors, but a sentence on the wikipedia description of a forward biased diode struck me as relevant to your question.

Ok, when the diode is forward biased, current still doesn't flow, right. So there is a potential difference between each part of the diode, like in a capacitor. In addition it says on the wikipedia page that "This reduces the width of the depletion zone.".

So it seems to me that as long as the foward bias is not too large, there is still a depletion zone between the N and P parts, and there is a potential difference across it. So it should have some capacitive properties, right?

Ref:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-n_junction#Forward_bias

Torquil

What is the capacitance of a forward biased diode?

The capacitance of a forward biased diode refers to the ability of the diode to store and release electrical charge when a voltage is applied in the forward direction. It is also known as the junction capacitance or transition capacitance.

How is the capacitance of a forward biased diode calculated?

The capacitance of a forward biased diode can be calculated using the following formula: C = (A * ε * ε0) / d, where C is the capacitance, A is the area of the depletion region, ε is the relative permittivity, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and d is the width of the depletion region.

What factors affect the capacitance of a forward biased diode?

The capacitance of a forward biased diode is affected by the area of the depletion region, the permittivity of the material, and the width of the depletion region. It also varies with the voltage applied and the frequency of the signal passing through the diode.

How does the capacitance of a forward biased diode change with increasing voltage?

The capacitance of a forward biased diode decreases as the voltage applied in the forward direction increases. This is due to the widening of the depletion region, which reduces the effective area for charge storage.

Why is the capacitance of a forward biased diode important?

The capacitance of a forward biased diode is important because it affects the frequency response of the diode and its ability to act as a capacitor. It also plays a role in the behavior of diode-based circuits and can impact the overall performance and efficiency of electronic devices.