Quadratic drag equation by partial fractions

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation dv/(1-(v^2/v_ter^2)) = g*dt, which can be obtained by using natural logs. The speaker also mentions using partial fractions and limits of integration, but the numbers do not match when plugged in. They suggest looking up the integral in a table instead of using partial fractions.
matpo39
hi, i am trying to show that

dv/(1- (v^2/v_ter^2)) = g*dt which after integrating is

v=v_ter*tanh(g*t/v_ter) (motion with quadratic drag) can also be obtained by using natural logs.

so far i have this:

letting u = v/v_ter

i can use partial fractions to get

du/(1-u^2) = 1/2 *(1/(1+u) + 1/(1-u)) *du

then using my limits of integration as 0 to u , i get

1/2* [ln(1+u) + ln(1-u)] = g*dt

then integrating the other side i get as my final equation

1/2 *[ ln(1+v/v_ter) + ln(1-v/v_ter)] = g*t

but when i tried to plug numbers into each equation the numbers didnt match.

does anyone know what i may have done wrong?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is [tex] \int \frac{1}{1- \frac{v^{2}}{v_{0}}} dv [/tex], look it up in an integral table, you shouldn't have to resort to partial fractions, I suspect that it will be arctanh()...

First of all, great job using partial fractions to solve the quadratic drag equation! You are on the right track.

Upon plugging in numbers, it is possible that you may have made a mistake in your integration or in plugging in the limits of integration. Double check your work and make sure that all of your calculations are correct.

Additionally, it is important to note that the natural log function is a complex equation and can sometimes give different results depending on how it is evaluated. It is possible that the slight discrepancy in your answers could be due to this.

Overall, your approach and use of partial fractions is correct. Keep working through the problem and double check your calculations to ensure accuracy. Good luck!

1. What is the quadratic drag equation by partial fractions?

The quadratic drag equation by partial fractions is a mathematical equation used to model the drag force on a moving object in a fluid. It takes into account both the linear and quadratic components of the drag force, which are dependent on the object's velocity.

2. How is the quadratic drag equation by partial fractions derived?

The equation is derived by using the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of a fluid, and applying them to a small element of fluid surrounding the moving object. By manipulating these equations and assuming a quadratic relationship between the drag force and velocity, the quadratic drag equation by partial fractions can be derived.

3. What are the variables in the quadratic drag equation by partial fractions?

The variables in the equation include the drag force, velocity, fluid density, object's cross-sectional area, and a drag coefficient that takes into account the shape and surface properties of the object. These variables can be adjusted to model different scenarios or objects.

4. What is the significance of using partial fractions in the quadratic drag equation?

Using partial fractions in the equation allows for a more accurate representation of the drag force. It takes into account the non-linear behavior of the drag force at high velocities, which cannot be accurately modeled with a simple linear equation. By breaking down the equation into partial fractions, a more precise solution can be obtained.

5. How is the quadratic drag equation by partial fractions used in real-world applications?

This equation is used in a variety of fields, including aerospace engineering, fluid dynamics, and sports science. It can be used to predict the drag force on an airplane in flight, the trajectory of a projectile, or the resistance an athlete experiences while running or swimming. It is also used in the design of vehicles, such as cars and rockets, to optimize their performance and efficiency.