Hanging Wire Uniform Magnetic Field

This is known as the "right hand rule". In summary, the wire in a uniform magnetic field will move in a circular motion due to the force exerted by the field. This force is perpendicular to the field and is known as the "right hand rule". The wire will move upwards and to the right, and by solving for the force, the strength of the magnetic field can be determined. The answer to the problem is A.
jegues
[SOLVED]Hanging Wire Uniform Magnetic Field

Homework Statement

See figure attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\vec{F_{b}} = i\vec{L} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

Using my right hand rule, I can see that the force is pushing the wire to the right. This correlates with what is in the drawing.

As the force pushes the wire to the right, due to the finite length of the strings on which it hangs, it will start to move up and to the right.

If I can somehow figure out the force that causes it to move, I can solve for B.

Since the wire is moving to the right and up do I have to relate the force due to the field to the force of gravity somehow?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Solved it. The answer is A I believe.

Attachments

• Q5.JPG
    Q5.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is that the wire will move in a circle due to the uniform magnetic field. The force due to the field in this case will be perpendicular to the field, and thus will cause the wire to move in a circular motion.

1. What is a hanging wire uniform magnetic field?

A hanging wire uniform magnetic field is a type of experiment used to demonstrate the behavior of a magnetic field in a uniform and consistent manner.

2. How does a hanging wire uniform magnetic field work?

In this experiment, a wire is suspended from a fixed point and a current is passed through it. This creates a magnetic field around the wire, which can be observed by the movement of a nearby magnetic compass. By adjusting the current and distance of the compass, the strength and direction of the magnetic field can be measured.

3. What are the applications of a hanging wire uniform magnetic field?

This experiment is often used in educational settings to illustrate the principles of magnetism and its effects on objects. It can also be used in research to study the behavior of magnetic fields in different environments and configurations.

4. How is a hanging wire uniform magnetic field different from other magnetic field experiments?

Unlike other experiments, a hanging wire uniform magnetic field creates a consistent and uniform magnetic field. This allows for more precise measurements and observations of the effects of magnetism.

5. What factors can affect the results of a hanging wire uniform magnetic field experiment?

The strength of the current, the distance from the wire to the compass, and any external magnetic fields in the surrounding area can all affect the results of this experiment. It is important to control these factors in order to obtain accurate data.