Solving Torque in Stretcher/Paramedic Problem-Unsure About Fulcrum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two paramedics carrying a stretcher with a person on it and determining the fulcrum to calculate torques and balance the forces contributed by either side. The question is whether using two fulcrums is correct and if there is a standard rule for finding the fulcrum in such problems. The solution is to use the static equation to verify that the forces from the paramedics equal the force down from the body, indicating that the problem has been solved correctly.
katieoneill
Hello,

I've seen a similar problem posted here but the answer to my question was not included. The details of my problem are not so important as I do not require a solution, just help in one aspect of the problem: finding the fulcrum in order to calculate torques to balance each other (in order to find the forces contributed by either side).

The problem is 2 paramedics carrying a stretcher with some body of some mass with a center of gravity closer to one paramedic. I was unsure of where the fulcrum would be in order to calculate torque. I did the problem by calculating the torque for paramedic A using the fulcrum as paramedic B and vice versa, but I have no idea if this is correct. It seems odd to use 2 fulcrums in a problem, but it seems to me when I visualize the problem that the pivot point for each side is the other side.

Can anyone please help me with this? Also, is there a standard rule of thumb for finding the fulcrum in problems where it is not obvious (obvious like a seesaw or wrench).

THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you take paramedic A as fulcrum and calculate the force for paramedic B; and then you take paramedic B as fulcrum and calculate the force for paramedic A...do they both add up to the weight of the body? In other words, you solved for the forces knowing the the stretcher is not rotating, fine; now, you can use the static equation (the stretcher is not moving up or down, either) to verify that the forces from the paramedics equal the force down from the body. If so, you have solve the problem correctly.

1. What is torque and how does it apply to the stretcher/paramedic problem?

Torque is the twisting or rotational force applied to an object. In the stretcher/paramedic problem, torque is important because it determines the ease or difficulty of moving the stretcher with a patient on it. The longer the distance between the applied force (the paramedic) and the pivot point (fulcrum), the greater the torque and the easier it is to move the stretcher.

2. How do you determine the fulcrum in the stretcher/paramedic problem?

The fulcrum, or pivot point, is the point at which the stretcher rotates. In the stretcher/paramedic problem, the fulcrum is typically the wheels of the stretcher. It is important to note that the placement of the fulcrum can greatly affect the amount of torque needed to move the stretcher, and thus should be carefully considered by the paramedic.

3. Can the stretcher be moved with only one paramedic?

It is possible to move the stretcher with only one paramedic, but it may require significantly more torque. This is because the distance between the applied force and the fulcrum is shorter, meaning less leverage and therefore more effort is needed to move the stretcher. It is recommended to have at least two paramedics to evenly distribute the force and make the movement easier.

4. How can the paramedics reduce the torque needed to move the stretcher?

To reduce the torque needed to move the stretcher, the paramedics can adjust the placement of the fulcrum. Moving the fulcrum closer to the patient's feet can decrease the distance between the applied force and the fulcrum, making it easier to move the stretcher. Additionally, using proper body mechanics and distributing the weight evenly between the paramedics can also reduce the amount of torque needed.

5. What factors can affect the amount of torque needed to move the stretcher?

Aside from the placement of the fulcrum, the weight of the patient, the weight of the stretcher, and the condition of the surface the stretcher is being moved on can all affect the amount of torque needed. The heavier the patient and stretcher, and the rougher the surface, the more torque will be required to move the stretcher.