Simple Fulcrum Force Calculation Question

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the forces on a fulcrum design. The question asks if the calculations for the force on the fulcrum pivot point are correct, which seems to result in a force amplification. There is also a discussion about the contribution of the reaction force at the bearing to the downward force on the fulcrum pivot. The conversation ends with a comment about the setup being similar to a lever and a calculation for the force on the fulcrum pivot using moments.
kingneptune11
Hello all,

I have a (at what first seemed) fairly simple question about calculating the forces on this fulcrum design I have.

Here is an image of the sketch and free body diagram that I drew:

Fulcrum_Question.jpg

Basically, the pivot point in my real life application is actually a cam, but for the sake of this question, imagine it as a simple fulcrum.

On the right hand side of the fulcrum bar, I have a 30lb force pushing down. On the left hand side, I have a the fulcrum bar mounted to a bearing that only allows rotation.

For my FBD, I labeled there being a reaction force at the fulcrum pivot (obviously), which I labeled F_A. I also put a reaction force at the bearing, labeled F_N. This is the force I am slightly confused by. I know there has to be a reaction force here, but I am worried I am calculating it wrong, therefore calculating F_A wrong.

I am trying to figure out the force on the fulcrum pivot point, which I termed F_A in my drawing. Please look through my calculations. According to this, F_A is equal to 102LB, more than three times the original, single force in my system! Does this really mean that I just translated 30LB into 102LB, simply by fixing the far left end of the fulcrum bar with that bearing? Did I do the calculations correct?

This just seems a little goofy to me. I am having trouble grasping the fact that F_N, which is PURELY a reaction force, is contributing to the downward force on the fulcrum pivot, F_A. I was under the impression that since my singlular force of 30LB is the only force originally there, my F_A couldn't possibly be more than that. My calculations say otherwise.

Let me know if you think I am correct in my calculations. If I am not, how can I rectify this? Where did I go wrong?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will expect force amplification because the setup is basically a lever. That is what levers do.
The arrangement you have there is how nutcrackers work.
I got ##F_A= (17/5)F_L## by equating moments about the bearing.

kingneptune11 said:
This just seems a little goofy to me. I am having trouble grasping the fact that F_N, which is PURELY a reaction force, is contributing to the downward force on the fulcrum pivot, F_A. I was under the impression that since my singlular force of 30LB is the only force originally there, my F_A couldn't possibly be more than that. My calculations say otherwise.
This is why I don't like physically meaningless qualifiers of forces like "reaction". They just confuse people. The forces you analyze all act simultaneously, and for the force balance at that time point it's completely irrelevant which force "was originally there".

1. What is a fulcrum?

A fulcrum is a pivot point or support on which a lever rests and rotates.

2. How does a fulcrum affect force?

A fulcrum is an essential component of a lever, which is a simple machine that can multiply or change the direction of a force. The location of the fulcrum determines the amount of force needed to move an object.

3. How do you calculate the force of a simple fulcrum?

To calculate the force of a simple fulcrum, you need to know the distance of the fulcrum from the applied force and the distance of the fulcrum from the object being moved. Then, you can use the equation Force = Load x Load Distance / Effort Distance.

4. What is the principle behind a fulcrum?

The principle behind a fulcrum is based on the concept of torque, which is the rotational force that occurs when a lever is used to move an object. The closer the fulcrum is to the load, the less force is required to move the object.

5. How is a fulcrum used in everyday life?

A fulcrum is used in a variety of everyday objects, such as seesaws, scissors, and wheelbarrows. It is also used in construction tools, such as crowbars and pry bars. The principle of a fulcrum is also applied in the human body, such as when using our arms to lift objects.