Redundancy of Lie Group Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between smooth manifolds, Lie groups, and diffeomorphisms. It is stated that in order to show that a smooth manifold G is a Lie group, it is necessary to prove that the inverse map i(g)=g^{-1} is also smooth. The conversation then presents a map F:G×G\rightarrow G×G and its inverse F^{-1}(x,y)=(x,x^{-1}y) as a way to show that i(g) is smooth. It is argued that F is a diffeomorphism, and therefore i(x) must also be smooth. The conversation also considers the possibility of representing F as the product of two diffeomorphisms,
Arkuski
I want to show that if [itex]G[/itex] is a smooth manifold and the multiplication map [itex]m:G×G\rightarrow G[/itex] defined by [itex]m(g,h)=gh[/itex] is smooth, then [itex]G[/itex] is a Lie group.

All there is to show is that the inverse map [itex]i(g)=g^{-1}[/itex] is also a smooth map. We can consider a map [itex]F:G×G\rightarrow G×G[/itex] where [itex]F(g,h)=(g,gh)[/itex] and its inverse is [itex]F^{-1}(x,y)=(x,x^{-1}y)[/itex]. If I show that [itex]F[/itex] is a diffeomorphism, then it should be the case that [itex]i(x)[/itex], which is the second component of [itex]F^{-1}(x,e)[/itex], is smooth.

I have found an answer online that describes [itex]F[/itex] as a very long chain of translations, but can't we simply say that [itex]F=Id_G×L_g[/itex]? And since both [itex]Id_G[/itex] and [itex]L_g[/itex] are diffeomorphisms, isn't their product be a diffeomorphism as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
But why is L_g smooth in a Lie group if not for the fact that m is smooth?

1. What is the concept of redundancy in Lie group conditions?

The concept of redundancy in Lie group conditions refers to the existence of multiple conditions or criteria that can be used to define a particular Lie group. In other words, there may be more than one way to describe a Lie group, but all the conditions are equivalent and lead to the same group structure.

2. Why is redundancy important in the study of Lie groups?

Redundancy in Lie group conditions is important because it provides different perspectives and approaches to understanding and characterizing a Lie group. It also allows for cross-checking and verification of results, as well as the possibility of discovering new connections and relationships between different groups.

3. Are all Lie group conditions redundant?

No, not all Lie group conditions are redundant. Some Lie groups can be uniquely defined by a single condition, while others may have multiple equivalent conditions. It depends on the specific group and its properties.

4. How can redundancy be identified in Lie group conditions?

Redundancy in Lie group conditions can be identified by checking if all the conditions lead to the same group structure. This can be done by verifying the properties and defining equations of the group using each set of conditions and comparing the results.

5. Can redundancy in Lie group conditions be avoided?

No, redundancy in Lie group conditions cannot be avoided as it is a natural consequence of the abstract and complex nature of Lie groups. However, it can be minimized by carefully choosing the most concise and efficient conditions to define a particular group.