Understanding Relativity: The Effects of Relative Motion and Mass

In summary, according to relativity, when an object moves, its volume shrinks and its mass increases. However, this does not necessarily mean that a massive object, such as a neutron star, will turn into a black hole for an object traveling at 99% of the speed of light with respect to it. This is because the source of gravity is not just mass, but also the stress energy tensor. Additionally, the concept of relativistic mass has been deprecated and most physicists refer to the invariant mass of a moving object.
Trojan666ru
Well, relativity says whatever moves, it's volume shrinks and mass increases (as observed).
So if i am traveling at 99% c with respect to a massive neutron star, do that star become a black hole for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Because the source of gravity isn't just mass, but the stress energy tensor. The way you interact with the neutron star is going to be different, but it's not going to turn into a black hole. The relativity aspect isn't lost. You can consider the problem from neutron star's perspective, and derive your trajectory. You will follow that same trajectory relative to neutron star from your own perspective.

Trojan666ru said:
So if i am traveling at 99% c with respect to a massive neutron star, do that star become a black hole for me?

If I am traveling at 99.999999999% c with respect to you, do you become a black hole for me? :wink:

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the perceived motion of an object in relation to another object. It is the movement of an object based on its position and velocity in comparison to another object.

2. How does mass affect relative motion?

Mass plays a role in determining an object's inertia, and therefore its resistance to changes in motion. Objects with larger masses have a greater resistance to changes in their motion, while objects with smaller masses have less resistance.

3. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass refers to the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is a constant property of an object, while weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

4. How does relative motion affect the perception of time?

Relative motion can affect the perception of time due to the concept of time dilation. When objects are moving at high speeds relative to each other, time will appear to pass slower for the object that is moving faster.

5. How does the concept of relative motion apply to space travel?

The concept of relative motion is crucial in space travel, as objects in space are constantly moving in relation to each other. Understanding the relative motion of objects is essential for planning and executing space missions, as well as predicting and avoiding potential collisions.