Can you get the power used from 1 hour meter reading?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of measuring energy usage in kilowatt-hours (kWh). The method of measuring depends on the specific need and can range from average power over a period of time to instantaneous peak power. The concept of a "meter deposit" was also discussed, with it being explained as a deposit based on an average of what the previous tenant used. The conversation also touched on the possibility of getting the deposit refunded and the process for doing so. It was mentioned that the power rate is based on an assumed kW usage, with adjustments made if the actual usage exceeds the initial assumption.
ardeelo
Can I get that kw used for that hour from reading the meter in one hour?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The answer depends on the specifics of what you need to know. Your method provides the average power draw over a period of one hour. Some utilities meter the average over 15 minute intervals. Or, you may be looking for the instantaneous peak power. It really depends on what exactly you want to know.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

The answer depends on the specifics of what you need to know. Your method provides the average power draw over a period of one hour. Some utilities meter the average over 15 minute intervals. Or, you may be looking for the instantaneous peak power. It really depends on what exactly you want to know.

I have a 200kw in my meter deposit.

now in a period of an hour, how much kilowatt am I using? Say on that peak time of 12:30 when it's really hot, all air conditioning is being used, someones watching TV, 2 fridges, cooking electric so on and so forth.

Am I drawing the full 200k at that hour?

Looking at my meter, how do I know?

I think you want to say 200 kWhr (not kW).. If your meter is showing 200 kWhr in one hour then it means that you have used a total power of 200 kW in that one hour.. If you want to measure the power you are using at a particular instant then its a bit complicated.. For this you have to measure the load current of your home and then multiply it with the voltage (and offcourse the Power factor) and this will give you the instantaneous power..

Last edited by a moderator:
fozia.jehan said:
I think you want to say 200 kWhr (not kW).. If your meter is showing 200 kWhr in one hour then it means that you have used a total power of 200 kW in that one hour.. If you want to measure the power you are using at a particular instant then its a bit complicated.. For this you have to measure the load current of your home and then multiply it with the voltage (and offcourse the Power factor) and this will give you the instantaneous power..
I have 200kW in my meter deposit. In one hour, how do I know from looking at my meter that I'm using any amount of the 200kW?

But yes, your assumption is correct sir. I do want to measure how much power I'm using at a particular instant of a period of one hour.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a "meter deposit"?

My bad.. One method is what I have described above.. another simple method is that you watch your meter for some time (say two minutes) and note the change in the meter reading of kWhr. Now divide that reading with the time and you will get the KWs you are using. e.g your meter shows a usage of 1kWhr during an interval of 2 minutes then (1kWh x 60 min/hr) / 2 min = 30 kW. So you are using 30 kW at that time.

russ_watters said:
What is a "meter deposit"?

Where I am...the power company charges a deposit depending on the assumed kw your residence or building is to consume. They call it a meter deposit.

So if it's a commercial use+kw and some other magic numbers then you pay that in the application.

Residential meters in my location in the USA can be thought of an electric motor that spins faster when you use more power. Of course most have been replaced with digital versions but the principle is the same. When you say 200 KW in your meter deposit I assume you mean 200 KWH (Kilowatthours). You could use 200 KW for one hour, 400 KW for half an hour, or 20 KW for 10 hours and it would all be the same thing as far as paying for electricity used. However, it is unlikely you have equipment capable of supplying 200 KW. This would be over 800 amps at 240 volts. A 200 amp service is not uncommon in my area and this is about 48 KW at 240 volts.

ardeelo, if you are trying to get out of the deposit, from what I've heard, it based on an average of what the previous tenants used. Just call your power company.

Evo said:
ardeelo, if you are trying to get out of the deposit, from what I've heard, it based on an average of what the previous tenants used. Just call your power company.

It's a new application. The previous meter was removed. I'm laying out a new workshop.

ardeelo said:
It's a new application. The previous meter was removed. I'm laying out a new workshop.
Ok, but the deposit is not based on one actual single hour, but an average. If you want to know what it's based on, call them. Are you trying to debate the deposit? It's not based on your actual usage when you first open an account. If you pay your bills on time, they should refund it after a year.

Evo said:
Ok, but the deposit is not based on one actual single hour, but an average. If you want to know what it's based on, call them. Are you trying to debate the deposit? It's not based on your actual usage when you first open an account. If you pay your bills on time, they should refund it after a year.

hmmnn not necessarily. Our power company is the most evil and insidious monopoly there is. Once you cancel your contract and the meter itself is returned to the office, only then can the deposit be returned. I don't know if anyone has ever even done that.

My power rate is based on the assumed kw I would require plus a factor that my space is for commercial use.

If they find that I used more than 200kW, they would adjust my power rate again and request for an addendum to the "meter deposit".

But nothing in the contract says anything about using less than the allotted/assumed 200kW.

That's why I wanted to know how much am I exactly consuming in that one instant during a peak use moment/period.

Where I live there is a minimum charge no matter how little you use. This charge is based on the size of the transformer. No matter how long you use less than the monthly minimum you will still pay it.

1. Can you explain how the power used is calculated from a 1 hour meter reading?

The power used is calculated by multiplying the energy used (measured in kilowatt-hours) by the time period (1 hour). This gives the power usage in kilowatts (kW). For example, if the energy used in 1 hour is 5 kWh, the power used would be 5 kW.

2. Is the power used from a 1 hour meter reading accurate?

Yes, the power used from a 1 hour meter reading is typically very accurate. Modern meters use advanced technology to measure energy usage and are calibrated regularly to ensure accuracy.

3. Can you explain the difference between power and energy in terms of a meter reading?

Power is the rate at which energy is being used or produced, while energy is the total amount of power used over a given period of time. A meter reading measures energy usage, but the power used can be calculated by dividing the energy by the time period.

4. How does the time period of a meter reading affect the power used?

The time period of a meter reading does not affect the power used, as it is simply a measure of energy usage over a specific period of time. However, the shorter the time period, the more accurate the measurement of power usage will be for that specific moment in time.

5. Can you use a 1 hour meter reading to calculate the power used over longer periods of time?

Yes, a 1 hour meter reading can be used to estimate the power used over longer periods of time by taking multiple readings and averaging the results. However, for a more accurate measurement, it is recommended to use a longer time period (such as a day or a month) to account for any fluctuations in power usage.