Neutralization Reactions: NaOH + HCl & NH3 + HCl

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of neutralization reactions between acids and bases, specifically in relation to the Brønsted-Lowry acid-base theory. The conversation also delved into the results of different acid-base reactions, such as the reaction between NH3 and HCl, and the importance of understanding different definitions of acids and bases.
DarylMBCP

Homework Statement

An acid and a base is supposed to form a salt and water during a neutralization reaction such as NaOH + HCl --> NaCl + H2O. However, based on Brønsted–Lowry acid-base theory, shouldn't NaOH become NaH2O or something like that after accepting an H+ ion from HCl since the base is a proton acceptor? Why does the OH- ion from NaOH get separated?

My next question is...
What is the result when the base, NH3 reacts with the acid HCl, for example? Is the result NH4+ and Cl-?

Physics news on Phys.org
NaOH in water is fully dissociated. What is a proton acceptor in this solution?

In Brownsted- Lowry Theory, bases are said to be proton acceptors and acids are said to be proton donors and since NaOH is a base in this solution, shouldn't it receive a H+ion from HCl, which is an acid? When NH3, a base and H2O react, NH4+ and OH- are produced. In this case, a H+ ion is transferred from H2O to NH3 whereas in the NaOH and HCl reaction, a H+ ion is not tranferred from the acid to the base. Why is this so? Does this have something to do with water having a unique property?

You are still ignoring fact that NaOH is fully dissociated. There is no such thing as NaOH in solution, so it can't react.

Oh ya, I completely forgot about that. Thank you. However I do have another question on how if NH3 and HCl reacted? Would the result be NH4+ and OH-? But if that is so, then it would mean that when an acid reacts with a base, a salt and water is not always the result. If so, when does this rule apply and when does a reaction between a base and an acid result in another acid and base?

DarylMBCP said:
how if NH3 and HCl reacted? Would the result be NH4+ and OH-?

Why OH-?

OH- because NH4+ gains a H+ ion since it is the base resulting in OH-. So are NH4+ and OH_ the products for such a reaction?

NH3 has a lone pair that can accommodate H+, that's right. However, where is the source of OH-? Please remember you are reacting NH3 with strong acid.

remember you are reacting NH3 with strong acid

Are you referring to H2O as the strong acid since it is left to react with NH3?

DarylMBCP said:
Are you referring to H2O as the strong acid since it is left to react with NH3?

No, please take a look again at the original question you have posted.

DarylMBCP said:
how if NH3 and HCl reacted?

You listed two substances, one of them is a strong, mineral acid. One of the most common strong acids.

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I forgot about my original question in mind. What I mean is, I do have question on how if NH3 and HCl reacted? Would the result be NH4+ and Cl-? But if that is so, then it would mean that when an acid reacts with a base, a salt and water is not always the result. If so, when does this rule apply and when does a reaction between a base and an acid result in another acid and base?

DarylMBCP said:
What I mean is, I do have question on how if NH3 and HCl reacted? Would the result be NH4+ and Cl-?

Yes.

But if that is so, then it would mean that when an acid reacts with a base, a salt and water is not always the result. If so, when does this rule apply and when does a reaction between a base and an acid result in another acid and base?

Look for extended definitions of acids and bases. Classic one (Arrhenius) treats everything in terms of OH- and H+ - it fails for ammonia and HCl reaction. This one can be easily understood in terms of Brønsted-Lowry's acids and bases.

Actually, I'm very new to the topics od Acids and Bases so I don't think I was able to understand everything on that webpage very clearly. Still, this is what I think it meant and how it applies to my question; Ammonia and HCl for NH4+ an Cl-. NH4+ is a conjugate acid and Cl- is a conjugate base. Am I right?

No, conjugate acid and conjuage base differ just by one proton.

So let me try to get what u are saying and from the hyperlink you attached; The reaction I stated above results in NH4+ and Cl- and both aren't a conjugate acid and base pair. That is because the base, NH3 does not contain OH-. Is that true?

DarylMBCP said:
NH4+ and Cl- and both aren't a conjugate acid and base pair

My English fails me here and I am not sure what you mean (word 'both' make the statement unclear for me). IF you mean that NH4+ is not conjugate acid of Cl- and vice versa - then you are right.

That is because the base, NH3 does not contain OH-. Is that true?

It can be put this way, but it doesn't have to. You are all the time trying to use Arrhenius definition of base to ammonia - that's why you still have problems understanding the case.

Borek said:
It can be put this way, but it doesn't have to. You are all the time trying to use Arrhenius definition of base to ammonia - that's why you still have problems understanding the case.

What is that other way or definition that my explanation can be put? Is it that a base is defined as any substance that can accept a hydrogen ion?

Last edited:
Ok thank you very much for your help so far.

1. What is a neutralization reaction?

A neutralization reaction is a chemical reaction between an acid and a base that results in the formation of a salt and water. It involves the transfer of protons from the acid to the base, resulting in the neutralization of both substances.

2. What are the products of a neutralization reaction between NaOH and HCl?

The products of the neutralization reaction between NaOH (sodium hydroxide) and HCl (hydrochloric acid) are NaCl (sodium chloride) and H2O (water).

3. What is the balanced chemical equation for the neutralization reaction between NH3 and HCl?

The balanced chemical equation for the reaction between NH3 (ammonia) and HCl (hydrochloric acid) is NH3 + HCl → NH4Cl (ammonium chloride).

4. How does the concentration of acid and base affect the outcome of a neutralization reaction?

The concentration of acid and base affects the amount of product formed in a neutralization reaction. A higher concentration of acid or base will result in a more vigorous reaction and a larger amount of product formed.

5. What are some practical applications of neutralization reactions?

Neutralization reactions have many practical applications, such as in the production of fertilizers, the treatment of acid spills, and in the production of medicines and household cleaning products. They are also commonly used in laboratory experiments and in industrial processes.