Air flow through increasing pipe size

In summary, air flow through a pipe increases as the size of the pipe increases. This is due to the larger surface area of the larger pipe allowing for more air to pass through, resulting in a higher flow rate. As the pipe size increases, there is also less resistance to the flow of air, further increasing the overall flow rate. It is important to consider the size of a pipe when designing ventilation systems or other applications that require efficient air flow.
bigbsonnier
Air flow in shop is through 1/4" hose. pneumatic motor has 1/2" inlet plus the tubeing to and from valve is also all 1/2" tube. what would be a general equation to model the pressure loss or increase to the motor.

Shop air:
80psi 60cfm

Engineering news on Phys.org
So looking back a bit or lot more paper education would have been good for me but, I say the pressure drops for sure (put thumb over garden hose it increases). But, how much, don't know. I would guess double the pipe you half the pressure.

I am pretty flighty with my passions. So I got it in my head to use my natural math (just above zero to many of you I'm sure) ability, the generic teaching system and this here internet to grow my understanding to at least where I can understand what is being said in those beautiful numbers. I might be a bit of a pain on here for a bit.

"I would guess double the pipe you half the pressure. "

But don't quote me on that...

well i know when you decrease the pipe size and volumetric flow rate remains constant - velocity increases and pressure drops, i would assume the inverse is true with a distinct loss of energy but I'm unsure as to the driving equation as every "online calculator" throws a fit if you go small to big versus big to small.

bigbsonnier said:
when you decrease the pipe size and volumetric flow rate remains constant - velocity increases and pressure drops,

Really? Same volume going through smaller pipe. I can't get my head around this quite yet.

take it like 4 lanes of cars going down to 2 lanes and the cars are invencible and the cars continue to come at a steady rate, basically for the system to work the cars moving into the 2 lane section will have to move faster. that analogy handle the mass but not the pressure but you get the idea right?

If you want a governing equation, Bernoulli's law covers this for non-extreme flow rates.
[itex]
\[ P + \frac{1}{2}\rho v^2 + \rho g h = constant\]
[/itex]
In your case the only variables changing from one tube to the other are the flow velocity and the pressure, both of which you can work out from your pressure and tube diameter data if you also know the volumetric flow rate..

bigbsonnier said:
what would be a general equation to model the pressure loss or increase to the motor.
Pressure drop through pipe or tube is generally done per the Darcey Weisbach equation which is given by equation 1 in the attachment called "Pipe-Flo Pro.PDF" https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=179830".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the info on the document i think it may be invaluable to me in the futrue, however right now i don't believe the DW equation is what I am looking for, unless there is a way of restating it that works for my case.

I'm trying to get the dp with the sudden change of diameter. Length is not my conern right now.

I have read throught the entire document yet so the answer may yet be in there but thank you any way because i know i'll use it in the future.

1. What is the relationship between air flow and pipe size?

The larger the diameter of a pipe, the greater the air flow through it. This is because a wider pipe creates less resistance for the air to flow through, allowing for a greater volume of air to pass through.

2. How does air flow change as pipe size increases?

As pipe size increases, air flow also increases. This is due to the fact that a larger pipe has a greater cross-sectional area, allowing more air to pass through in a given amount of time.

3. Is there an optimal pipe size for maximum air flow?

Yes, there is an optimal pipe size for maximum air flow. This is typically determined by the specific application and the desired air flow rate. A pipe that is too small will create too much resistance for the air to flow through, while a pipe that is too large may not provide enough velocity to efficiently move the air.

4. How does air flow through increasing pipe size affect pressure?

As pipe size increases, pressure decreases. This is because a wider pipe allows for a greater volume of air to flow through, spreading out the air molecules and decreasing their density. This results in a decrease in pressure.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect air flow through increasing pipe size?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect air flow through increasing pipe size. These include the material of the pipe, the smoothness of the interior walls, and the presence of any obstructions or bends in the pipe. These factors can all create additional resistance and impact the overall air flow through the pipe.