Energy, Eternity and Infinity.

In summary, the discussion is about whether or not energy exists and if it does, if it is eternal and infinite. People seem to come to different conclusions based on their own beliefs.
throng
I resist posting as I have very little physics or math knowledge. I read quite a lot and would like to seek veiws on the following.

Energy can't be created or destroyed.

That implies it is eternal.

If it is eternal it is infinite, at least in duration.

Is it fair to say:

Energy exists - We are conscious of it.

Energy is eternal - Can't create or destroy it.

Energy is infinite - Eternity is infinite.

What are the implications of the indestructibility of energy?

I'm writing an artical on areas that science, religion and philosophy agree apon, and would appreciate any insight in this area.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Energy can't be created or destroyed?" The key word here is created and what does this actually mean?

Man people believe the big bang singularity just popped into existence and was not created by anyone or any existence whatsoever: So instead of energy being created by anyone or any existence whatsoever what man calls energy existing could have also just popped into existence along with everything else and would then have existed "only" for 15 billion years or so and a finite quantity of time.

ronjanec said:
Man people believe the big bang singularity just popped into existence and was not created by anyone or any existence whatsoever:
I disagree, "Man" doesn't believe this. There may be some people who do but cosmologists AFAIK don't even address the origin of the singularity in question so they don't assume that it popped out of nothing.

EDIT: Oops, surely you meant "many" and not "Man"...

throng said:
What are the implications of the indestructibility of energy?
Philosophically, it implies that existence is for all time.

Sorry, I did mean many not man...

out of whack said:
Philosophically, it implies that existence is for all time.

This implies that time is eternal.

Matter must have begun in a finite past, by the law of entropy.

The universe is of a primary singularity or "first movement".

I'd imagine the movement as the beginning of time, because in an instant or at light speed there is no movement. It seems movement is related to the passage of time somehow.

As entropy affects movement its force disperses into a miriad of lesser pairs, so movement slows and temperature becomes infinitely low.

Matter would sit still, evenly dispersed in space.

If infinite entopy is possible then the future is infinite. Without movement there's no light and we start losing a definition of time. (wont go there)

Anyway it seems it is not concurred that energy is eternal or infinite but in that we are conscious of it, it exists, at least for now.

I hope my thermodynamics is not inane.

Last edited:

1. What is energy and how is it measured?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ).

2. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

3. What is eternity and infinity?

Eternity refers to a state of being outside of time, often associated with the afterlife or the concept of timelessness. Infinity refers to something that has no end or limit, such as the infinite expanse of the universe.

4. How are energy, eternity, and infinity related?

Energy, eternity, and infinity are all abstract concepts that are interconnected. Energy is a fundamental aspect of the universe, eternity is often associated with the infinite nature of energy, and infinity is a concept that encompasses both energy and eternity within its boundless nature.

5. Can we measure or comprehend eternity and infinity?

As humans, our understanding and ability to measure eternity and infinity are limited. However, through scientific and philosophical exploration, we can gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of these concepts.