Calculating Mass Using Electric Field and Force Equations

In summary, the problem states that a particle with a charge of -6C is held stationary in an electric field of E=(0,0,-15)N/C. The task is to find the mass of the particle in kg. The equations used are E=F/q and F=ma, but the acceleration is unknown. The particle is suspended against gravity, meaning the resultant force on it must be zero, so the electric force must be equal to its weight.
krony23

Homework Statement

In a laboratory, a particle of charge -6C is held stationary because it is placed in an electric field E=(0,0,-15)N/C which suspends it against gravity. What is the mass of the particle? Give answer in kg.

Homework Equations

I THINK
E= F/q
F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I haven't actually had a chance to attempt this yet because A) I don't understand the notation of E in this equation, so I don't know if it is acceptable to just use -15 for E, and B) if I even have the right equations to use, I don't know what the acceleration is. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
krony23 said:

Homework Statement

In a laboratory, a particle of charge -6C is held stationary because it is placed in an electric field E=(0,0,-15)N/C which suspends it against gravity. What is the mass of the particle? Give answer in kg.

It suspends it against gravity, so what is the relationship between the electric force and the mass?

I don't really get what that means about it though.

krony23 said:
I don't really get what that means about it though.

The only forces acting on the mass are its weight and the electric force. If it is being suspended, what is the resultant force on it?

FAQ: Calculating Mass Using Electric Field and Force Equations

1. How can electric field be used to find mass?

Electric field can be used to find mass by using the formula F = qE = ma, where F is the force exerted on the charged object, q is the charge of the object, E is the electric field strength, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object. By measuring the force and electric field strength, the mass of the object can be calculated.

2. What equipment is needed to measure electric field and find mass?

To measure electric field and find mass, you will need a charged object, a source of electric field (such as a capacitor or a charged plate), a device to measure force (such as a spring scale or a force sensor), and a device to measure electric field strength (such as an electrometer or a voltmeter).

3. Can electric field be used to find the mass of any object?

Electric field can be used to find the mass of any object that has a known charge and can be subjected to an electric field. This method is commonly used in experiments involving small particles such as electrons or ions.

4. How accurate is the electric field method for finding mass?

The accuracy of the electric field method for finding mass depends on the precision of the equipment used and the skill of the experimenter. With careful measurements and proper calibration, this method can provide accurate results.

5. Are there any limitations to using electric field to find mass?

There are several limitations to using electric field to find mass. This method can only be used for objects with a known charge and in situations where the electric field is known and constant. It may also be affected by external factors such as air resistance or friction. Additionally, it may not be suitable for measuring the mass of very large or heavy objects.

Back