What causes electric field/ magnetic field?

In summary, electric fields can be caused by stationary electric charges and moving electric charges such as current flowing through a wire. Magnetic fields are also caused by moving electric charges. A changing magnetic field, as described by Faraday's law, can induce a current in a conductor. Both electric and magnetic fields can be produced by a moving charge, while a current-carrying wire only creates a magnetic field due to its neutral net charge.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

What causes electric field? What causes magnetic field?
(I) stationary electric fields
(II) moving electric charges
(III) a changing magnetic field
IV) a current-carrying wire

Homework Equations

E=F/q
B=μI/2πr
E electric field
F elecric force
Q charge
B magnetic field
I current
r distanc(radius)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I) Stationary electric charges creates electric fields tht points radially outward/inward.
II) moving electric charges, like current flowing through a wire, cause magnetic fields. Can it produce electric fields as well since it is a charge?
III) That statement has me confused. It’s a change in magnetic field, so current is induced. It’s Faraday’s law. But what is caused exactly? Any hints?
IV) same as II

Physics news on Phys.org
YMMMA said:
II) moving electric charges, like current flowing through a wire, cause magnetic fields. Can it produce electric fields as well since it is a charge?
Yes, the electric field is there whether the charge is moving or not.

YMMMA said:
III) That statement has me confused. It’s a change in magnetic field, so current is induced. It’s Faraday’s law. But what is caused exactly? Any hints?
A current can only be induced if there is a conductor. Faraday's law is one of the Maxwell equations, so you can check what they look like in free space.

YMMMA said:
IV) same as II
Review this question with respect to what I wrote for II.

Then, a moving chrage causes both electric and magnetic fields.
I have check maxwells equations, and yes, it can create electric fields.
Current carrying wire creates only magnetic field. Am I right?

YMMMA said:
Then, a moving chrage causes both electric and magnetic fields.
I have check maxwells equations, and yes, it can create electric fields.
Current carrying wire creates only magnetic field. Am I right?
Yes, because the net charge is zero (the wire itself is neutral).

Likes YMMMA

1. What is the difference between electric field and magnetic field?

Electric field is caused by stationary charges, while magnetic field is caused by moving charges. Electric field is a force field that surrounds a charged particle and exerts a force on other charged particles, while magnetic field is a force field that surrounds a moving charged particle and exerts a force on other moving charged particles.

2. How are electric and magnetic fields related?

Electric and magnetic fields are related through electromagnetic force. When an electric field changes, it produces a magnetic field, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations.

3. What causes electric fields?

Electric fields are caused by the presence of electric charges. These charges can be either positive or negative, and they can be stationary or moving. The electric field strength is determined by the magnitude and distribution of these charges.

4. What causes magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields are caused by the movement of electric charges. When charges move, they create a magnetic field around them. The strength and direction of the magnetic field depends on the speed and direction of the moving charges.

5. How do electric and magnetic fields interact with each other?

Electric and magnetic fields can interact with each other through electromagnetic induction. When a magnetic field changes, it can induce an electric field, and vice versa. This phenomenon is the basis for many technologies, including generators and transformers.