Discover the Best Programming Language for Beginners | MechE Student's Journey

• Thread starter dherm56
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's interest in learning a computer language and their previous experience with C and Matlab. They mentioned considering C#, Java, and Visual Basic, and asked for recommendations based on their mechanical engineering background. The response suggested C/C++ for MechE applications and Java for general programming language learning.
dherm56
I've recently decided to really try and learn a computer language for the first time. I've had a standard computer science course that covered C material but I found that language to be overly tedious and absolutely miserable. Matlab was interesting, and I enjoy using it for dynamics and other vector based problems but I haven't tapped into it much further.

I've considered diving into C#, Java, or even Visual Basic. I'm currently a mechE student, so if that helps formulate any opinions I would love to hear them

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want MechE applications, C/C++ and Basic/VB is useful. Java not so much. I would suggest C/C++.

If you just want to learn a programming language, Java.

1. What is programming?

Programming is the process of creating instructions for a computer to follow in order to complete a specific task or set of tasks. These instructions are written in a programming language and are used to create software, applications, and websites.

2. What are the benefits of learning to program?

Learning to program can have many benefits, including improving problem-solving skills, enhancing logic and critical thinking abilities, and opening up career opportunities in a variety of industries such as technology, finance, and healthcare.

3. How do I get started with programming?

The best way to get started with programming is to choose a programming language and familiarize yourself with its syntax and basic concepts. There are many online resources and tutorials available to help you learn, and it's important to practice regularly and start with simple projects to build your skills.

4. Is programming difficult to learn?

Like any new skill, programming can be challenging to learn, but with dedication and practice, it is certainly achievable. Starting with a beginner-friendly language and breaking down complex concepts into smaller, manageable pieces can make the learning process easier.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when learning to program?

Some common mistakes to avoid when learning to program include not practicing enough, trying to learn too many languages at once, and not seeking help when needed. It's also important to avoid copying and pasting code without understanding it and to always test and debug your code thoroughly.