Is alcohol the most destructive drug on the planet?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the destructive nature of alcohol and its effects on individuals. One person shares their experience with a friend who ended up in the hospital due to alcohol addiction, while another talks about their own struggles with quitting drinking. The conversation also touches on the perception of alcohol as a socially acceptable drug and the dangers of its addictive nature. The conversation also delves into the topic of alcoholism as a disease and the differences between heavy drinkers and true alcoholics. Overall, the conversation highlights the tragic consequences of alcohol abuse and the need for understanding and support for those struggling with addiction.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've seen lives destroyed by drugs or alcohol before but never have I seen someone completely melt down in just two years, on booze. Unfortunately, that is what we just witnessed. It only took this poor woman two years of drinking to drive herself into kidney failure and the CCU. Today she is still unconscious and in critical condition. For the last day and a half we thought she may not survive. She is a little over forty years of age.

I used to think meth was the most destructive drug on the planet, but after seeing this I have to give the trophy to booze. This has been incredibly sad and distrurbing to watch.

I reeeeeeeeeeally hate booze... so much so that it makes me feel a bit ill just to be around people who are drinking. All that it takes is one look at that stupid grin people get on their face and I have to leave.

Biology news on Phys.org

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

She must have had underlying problems that were exacerbated by alcohol, topped with possibly huge amounts of alcohol. Some people are self destructive and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

I agree Ivan, I've talked to many relatives of alcoholics and I know what kind of destruction this addication can bring. It doesn't only hurt the alcoholic himself, but it affects all the relatives!

Don't get me wrong, I like the occasional glass of wine (I don't like to get drunk though). But I feel it's too easy for people to get addicted to alcohol. There have been a huge number of laws and campaigns against smoking. But alcohol is so much more destructive...

Evo said:
I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

She must have had underlying problems that were exacerbated by alcohol, topped with possibly huge amounts of alcohol. Some people are self destructive and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

No doubt she has big issues.

In my view, the real danger with alcohol is the perception that it's not a hard drug that destroys lives. No doubt she would never consider taking meth or something like that, but with alcohol being socially acceptable, it lures people into a sense of complacency. They don't believe they are taking a hard and dangerous drug.

After having my own close call with booze, I quit drinking on my 21st birthday.

I'm an alcoholic (and am pissed as a nit right now), and I agree with you wholeheartedly.
My recent hospitalization resulted in an immediate cessation of smoking. Next project is the booze. I thought that both at once would be too much of a shock to my system.
The only upside is that I seem capable of retaining almost half of my intellect when snorked.

I lost a good biker-buddy to booze. He was a Viet-Nam vet with PTSD and in the last year of his life, he was downing a 1.75L bottle of Canadian Club about every day, punctuated with regular Budweisers. Not good. It's sad to see how lonely and helpless some of our vets end up, and interventions by friends don't always work out well. If you try to get a big bear of a man to cut back on the drinking, and he's already half-lit, you should expect a less-than-friendly response.

turbo-1 said:
If you try to get a big bear of a man to cut back on the drinking, and he's already half-lit, you should expect a less-than-friendly response.

It depends upon both the man and the approacher. I'm certainly no "bear", being 56kg soaking wet, but I was always heavily armed. (Minimum Llama IX in .45ACP.; maximum Ruger Super Blackhawk with .44 magnum semi-jacketed hollow points.)
If I'd ever gone off, you would probably have heard about it all the way down to where you live. Luckily, we Canuks have a less confrontational attitude than what is perceived as normal for Yanks. Upon the very few instances, spaced over more than 20 years, when I was tempted, a calm waitress or a gentle bouncer talked me out of doing something stupid. Diplomacy is a skill that every bar worker should have to study.

Edit: This is not meant to minimize the idea of PTSD, and I apologize if it seemed so. I know first-hand how devastating mental illness can be. I don't even want to discuss my brother, but my own is merely ADD. I refer to my medication as my "I don't want to kill anyone today pills". Perish forbid if I lived in the US without socialized medicine.

Last edited:

Alcohol killed my father, I know more than probably anyone else how ugly and tragic alcoholism can be. Hope your friend survives, and if she does turns her life around.

Danger said:
(Minimum Llama IX in .45ACP.; maximum Ruger Super Blackhawk with .44 magnum semi-jacketed hollow points.)
If I'd ever gone off, you would probably have heard about it all the way down to where you live.

penciling in shiver, shake in fear, possible near faint. hmm, April 6-7, 2015? :!)

I was surprised to find that alcoholism is a disease. People can be extremely heavy drinkers and not be alcoholics.

Alcoholics get drunk much easier than non-alcoholics. They don't metabolize alcohol the same way as non-alcoholic heavy drinkers. There are a lot of differences. People need to realize that a true alcoholic is fighting much more of a battle than just a heavy drinker.

Last edited:

Alcoholics get drunk much easier than non-alcoholics.
:bugeye:

I thought so... :cry:

Hello, My name is Lacy 33 and i am an alcoholic.

A friend of mine was elected "Class Partier" in high school. At a party I witnessed him finish off a fifth of hard liquor, then another, and attempt a third. (I thought his capacity was a sign that he was an alcoholic.) I just made sure he did not drown in his own vomit, while others around him thought he was learning a lesson. A year later he joined the Navy.

Personally, I can't touch the stuff.

My sister-in-law's stepfather drank himself to death - literally. His liver and alimentary canal were shot. Ultimately he bled to death because lining of his intestines and colon was so gone that he simply bled out. By that time, he'd had multiple trips the emergency room for bleeding - but he didn't stop drinking - and it was probably too late that point anyway. :frown:

My dad counseled a guy who was being treating for alcoholism during increasingly frequent trips to a hospital emergency room. One time, the hospital found him out cold after drinking a bottle of rubbing alcohol. I believe they pumped his stomach and gave him IV ethanol until he passed the isopropanol. He apparently recovered from that event, but didn't live much longer after that.

Alcohol is horrible. I tossed it out of my life as soon as I was free from my ties to other that drank. I get sick fast from it. It has killed family members and I could have killed because of it. I have almost been killed because of it. strangled, knocked out, driven the wrong way on the San Diego frwy by a drinking driver, driven through a garage door of someone house at a dead end street by a drunken driver, raped by a drunk. Seen a woman burn to death in a car hit by a drunken driver. He got off with community service. If you all are on this forum, I HATE you.
I wish there was no such thing as alcohol and "recreational drugs." Thank you for listening to me.

You can't quit drinking cold turkey if you're an alcoholic either. It could kill you.

With all the stories told I risk being lynched... but I have no problems with occasional drink. And I know plenty of people that are not abstinent, but are not alcoholics either.

As with many other things (including PF :biggrin:) - it is not use, it is abuse that brings havoc.

Borek said:
With all the stories told I risk being lynched... but I have no problems with occasional drink. And I know plenty of people that are not abstinent, but are not alcoholics either.

As with many other things (including PF :biggrin:) - it is not use, it is abuse that brings havoc.
No lynching from this quarter. I like decent scotch and old sour-mash whiskey, and it would be a sin not to have beer in the 'fridge on a hot day after yard-work or gardening. Still, watching my friend go to hell was so painful. I couldn't be around him enough to be a regular presence in his life. Whenever I entertained at a pig-roast, biker-party, etc, he was always there, and that kind of atmosphere is really not conducive to pleading for some moderation, especially when it's tough to get privacy enough to have a few words alone.

Borek said:

I agree as well. It's unusual if I have more than one drink at a party. Fortunately, I get a headache right away if I drink much more than that.

You can't just claim that alcohol is evil simply due to cases like these. Alcohol can be enjoyed in moderation (and even beyond once in a while) by responsible adults who know when to stop. If you are not able to be responsible and start drinking yourself into oblivion, then that is when you need to seek help.

Borek said:

cristo said:
Alcohol can be enjoyed in moderation (and even beyond once in a while) by responsible adults who know when to stop. If you are not able to be responsible and start drinking yourself into oblivion, then that is when you need to seek help.

I whole heartedly agree with these statements. As with most things in life the fact that some people die because of it is not an indication that others cannot enjoy responsibly. I don't think it is fair to criticize those who drink on account of deaths due to alcoholism.

In spite of this Ivan I am very sorry for the loss of your friend.

cristo said:
You can't just claim that alcohol is evil simply due to cases like these. Alcohol can be enjoyed in moderation (and even beyond once in a while) by responsible adults who know when to stop. If you are not able to be responsible and start drinking yourself into oblivion, then that is when you need to seek help.

Cristo, some of us grew up in or connected to a generation at least in the USA where drinking was huge. We had entertainment personalities like the Rat Pack, with Dean Martian and (hic) can remember the others, who alwas had a drink and smoke in the hand.
The parents (in my case) were professional scientists and engineers by day and drinkers by night. There were huge elegant parties for friends and then other times for extended family where everyone drank too much. This drinking turned into constant drinking for many of the folks in that culture and they ended up a mess together with their children. A lot of child abuse went on with the drinking parents too. Good church type people would go to the pot lucks and drive home smashed.
This seemed to go directly into the extreme use of drugs in the 60-70's. Some of us ran for the hills, others stayed in and I honestly don't know how they survived.

Ivan Seeking said:
In my view, the real danger with alcohol is the perception that it's not a hard drug that destroys lives. No doubt she would never consider taking meth or something like that, but with alcohol being socially acceptable, it lures people into a sense of complacency. They don't believe they are taking a hard and dangerous drug.

I agree fully with this. People don't understand how dangerous alcohol is, they just laugh about it.

People seem to think that because its legal it can't be that dangerous, but it is.

pergradus said:
Alcohol killed my father

And mine as well.

Not just to be a "me too" but I have watched my friends die that bloody death from drinking. But why just say alcohol, cigarettes as well.
What's the matter of good clean living regardless of our backgrounds or former habbits? We can start any time and it does not take huge oaths or sacrifices to the godz. I know a lot of people who are doing this now. :smile:

Ivan I too am sorry for your loss.

some people are simply using alcohol to numb pain. something that is more painful than the effects of the alcohol. and so it can become a form of slow suicide.

Proton Soup said:
some people are simply using alcohol to numb pain. something that is more painful than the effects of the alcohol. and so it can become a form of slow suicide.

I don't get this reason. Getting mildly drunk is maybe ok once a week, but anymore and I end up feeling terrible! Do addicts not feel ill? Do they really love the taste? I knew a guy who would drink 2-3 glasses of brandy every morning. wtf. i can barely get down a 1/2 glass at night on a weekend. I would think abusing painkillers or muscle relaxants would be much better.

Is the ability to moderate supposedly innate, or do we have to find out whether we are drug abusers by trial and error?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I don't get this reason. Getting mildly drunk is maybe ok once a week, but anymore and I end up feeling terrible! Do addicts not feel ill? Do they really love the taste? I knew a guy who would drink 2-3 glasses of brandy every morning. wtf. i can barely get down a 1/2 glass at night on a weekend. I would think abusing painkillers or muscle relaxants would be much better.

alcohol is a great social lubricant. for him, it may have reduced his anxiety of dealing with people.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I believe the body/brain adapts to a certain chemistry/feeling. I had a friend who upon waking up would immediately go to the refrigerator and down a beer. He didn't feel 'normal' without alcohol in his system, and that certainly contributed to the failure of his first marriage. He was subsequently hospitalized, and basically told if he didn't stop drinking he'd probably kill himself. I think he stopped briefly. I haven't seen him in person in years. We talk on the phone sometimes, and each time it's almost like I'm talking with a different person. :frown:

Ivan Seeking said:
In my view, the real danger with alcohol is the perception that it's not a hard drug that destroys lives.

cristo said:
Alcohol can be enjoyed in moderation (and even beyond once in a while) by responsible adults who know when to stop.

These two statements are not incompatible.

The sneaky parts about alcohol are the social acceptance of drunkeness, and the fact that it is considered an acceptable social lubricant. What might be considered "strung out, stoned, stupid, tweeking, etc, for other drugs, is often referenced in euphamistic terms, like "tipsy", for booze [as a nondrinker, trust me, "stupid" works well as a descriptor for being "tipsy"]. And to make it worse, we act as if it is safe to consume ANY alcohol before driving a car.

Note: The woman mentioned in the op is still hanging on but it is touch and go.

Last edited:

To make things clear - my Dad was an alcoholic, and when he died he was just 54. Alcohol didn't kill him, but for sure played an important part in decline of his health.

Ivan: I agree with your point about the fact that alcohol is treated differently. It is not only in social reception, it is also in law (alcohol is legal, drugs are not). It is stupid if you ask me.

To be consistent we should either delegalize alcohol, or legalize drugs, I see no reason to treat them differently. I guess if marijuana was a part of our culture for several thousands years, and alcohol was a newcomer, situation would be exactly opposite.

Borek said:
Ivan: I agree with your point about the fact that alcohol is treated differently. It is not only in social reception, it is also in law (alcohol is legal, drugs are not). It is stupid if you ask me.

Not where I was going with this but I see all drugs as being the same. This by definition includes alcohol.

What I find offensive [socially and intellectually] is the notion that alcohol is somehow safer than other drugs. In fact it is one of THE most dangerous drugs around.

Ivan Seeking said:
Not where I was going with this but I see all drugs as being the same. This by definition includes alcohol.

What I find offensive [socially and intellectually] is the notion that alcohol is somehow safer than other drugs. In fact it is one of THE most dangerous drugs around.

It's characterized by the people that are most likely to use and/or abuse it instead of by its dangers. It's one of the few drugs where usage increases with education level (abuse also increases with education level to a certain extent).

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/Resources/DatabaseResources/QuickFacts/AlcoholConsumption/Pages/dkpat2.aspx : White, college educated males with a job are the most likely to consume alcohol.

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/Resources/DatabaseResources/QuickFacts/AlcoholConsumption/Pages/dkpat21.aspx : White males, especially in the 18-25 range are the most likely to be heavy drinkers. The correlation between education and heavy alcohol use is kind of muddled, probably because unemployment drastically increases the likelihood of heavy drinking (or vice versa?). Education decreases the chances of being unemployed.

You'd think a higher education level would decrease the chances of a woman drinking during pregnancy, but that's apparently not the case: http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov/offices/publications/pubs-267/457.pdf. The most likely woman to drink during pregnancy is married, over 30, with more than a high school education.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsu just called to let me know that it looks like the woman in the op is going to make it. Even yesterday there was serious concern that her kidneys may not kick in again, or perhaps that her pancreas was damaged beyond hope. But for the first time since this happened we got good news. She's off the respirator and sitting up!

Ivan Seeking said:
Tsu just called to let me know that it looks like the woman in the op is going to make it. Even yesterday there was serious concern that her kidneys may not kick in again, or perhaps that her pancreas was damaged beyond hope. But for the first time since this happened we got good news. She's off the respirator and sitting up!
Good news, Ivan. My best hopes for no relapse. Sometimes addicts fall off the wagon even after a serious scare. Hope she'll get counseling and stay clean.