Method of Undetermined Coefficients help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a particular solution to a linear differential equation by breaking it down into two equations and adding the solutions together. The method used involves ignoring certain terms to avoid canceling out, and also trying more complicated terms such as xsin(3x) to differentiate and get the desired term without it disappearing.
adamwitt
Ok, please view the attached image for the Question, and for the given solution.

I need some help understanding the solution.

I can get the Complimentary equation with no problems, I understand how to do that.

However, some questions

1) Why do we first ignore the sin(3x) in our particular solution? so that we only have y'' + 9y = cos(2x) ?
I first attempted to look for a particular solution of the form
yparticular = Acos(2x) + Bsin(2x) + Ccos(3x) + Dsin(3x)

And I managed to solve A = 1/5, but sin(3x) was left over and all the terms making it up had been canceled out. I assume this is what it means by "satisfies the homogenous equation" but I fail to see how the dude who wrote the answer knew that from the beginning.
But my main question really is why are we allowed to look for a particular solution that ignores the sin(3x) ?

2) My second question, is why do attempt to find a particular solution of the form Ax.sin(3x) + Bx.cos(3x) ?
Ie. Why do we suddenly include an 'x' in there? what was our thought process that led us to try this?

Thanks to anyone who helps explain this. Cheers!

Attachments

• aaaaaa.png
    aaaaaa.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 763
Physics news on Phys.org
adamwitt said:
1) Why do we first ignore the sin(3x) in our particular solution? so that we only have y'' + 9y = cos(2x) ?
The differential equation is linear right? Let's break this into two differential equations. Consider
[tex] y'' + 9y = \cos(2x) [/tex]
and let the solution to this be [itex] y_{p,1} [/itex]. Similarly, let the solution to
[tex] y'' + 9y = 2\sin(3x) [/tex]
be given by [itex] y_{p,2} [/itex]. Now notice that
[tex]\begin{align*}
(y_{p,1} + y_{p_2})'' + 93(y_{p,1} + y_{p_2}) &= [y_{p,1}'' + 9y_{p,1}] + [y_{p,2}'' + 9y_{p,2}] \\
&= \cos(2x) + 2\sin(3x) \end{align*}
[/tex]
Thus the particular solution to each part can be solved separately, then added to get the total particular solution. Your method would also work normally, but here we need to be careful.

adamwitt said:
And I managed to solve A = 1/5, but sin(3x) was left over and all the terms making it up had been canceled out. I assume this is what it means by "satisfies the homogenous equation" but I fail to see how the dude who wrote the answer knew that from the beginning.

Indeed, the homogeneous equation is when you "keep" all the parts that involve y, and set the rest to zero. Namely, the homogeneous equation for this is
[tex] y'' + 9y = 0 [/tex]
Now there are many ways to solve this, and indeed one solution is [itex] \sin(3x) [/itex]. The problem now is that when we try to find a particular solution [itex] y_p = A \sin(3x) + B\cos(3x) [/itex] we don't get anything useful out since [itex] y_p'' + 9y_p = 0 [/itex]. Thus we need to look at something more complicated. In particular, what can we differentiate in order to get a sin(3x) term that isn't sin(3x) itself? Well, how about xsin(3x)?

adamwitt said:
2) My second question, is why do attempt to find a particular solution of the form Ax.sin(3x) + Bx.cos(3x) ?
Ie. Why do we suddenly include an 'x' in there? what was our thought process that led us to try this?

Hopefully I made this clear from before, but the point is that you can't look for solutions just involving sin(3x) or cos(3x) because they satisfy y'' + 9y = 0, so if you sub them into the DE, they disappear. Thus we want to try terms that when differentiated, give a sin(3x) & cos(3x) term, but are not sin(3x) or cos(3x) themselves. So try xsin(3x). Well

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} x\sin(3x) = \sin(3x) + 3x\cos(3x) [/tex]

Tada!

Kreizhn said:
The differential equation is linear right? Let's break this into two differential equations. Consider
[tex] y'' + 9y = \cos(2x) [/tex]
and let the solution to this be [itex] y_{p,1} [/itex]. Similarly, let the solution to
[tex] y'' + 9y = 2\sin(3x) [/tex]
be given by [itex] y_{p,2} [/itex]. Now notice that
[tex]\begin{align*}
(y_{p,1} + y_{p_2})'' + 93(y_{p,1} + y_{p_2}) &= [y_{p,1}'' + 9y_{p,1}] + [y_{p,2}'' + 9y_{p,2}] \\
&= \cos(2x) + 2\sin(3x) \end{align*}
[/tex]
Thus the particular solution to each part can be solved separately, then added to get the total particular solution. Your method would also work normally, but here we need to be careful.

Indeed, the homogeneous equation is when you "keep" all the parts that involve y, and set the rest to zero. Namely, the homogeneous equation for this is
[tex] y'' + 9y = 0 [/tex]
Now there are many ways to solve this, and indeed one solution is [itex] \sin(3x) [/itex]. The problem now is that when we try to find a particular solution [itex] y_p = A \sin(3x) + B\cos(3x) [/itex] we don't get anything useful out since [itex] y_p'' + 9y_p = 0 [/itex]. Thus we need to look at something more complicated. In particular, what can we differentiate in order to get a sin(3x) term that isn't sin(3x) itself? Well, how about xsin(3x)?

Hopefully I made this clear from before, but the point is that you can't look for solutions just involving sin(3x) or cos(3x) because they satisfy y'' + 9y = 0, so if you sub them into the DE, they disappear. Thus we want to try terms that when differentiated, give a sin(3x) & cos(3x) term, but are not sin(3x) or cos(3x) themselves. So try xsin(3x). Well

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} x\sin(3x) = \sin(3x) + 3x\cos(3x) [/tex]

Tada!

Sir, you are of a fine callibre. Thank you greatly, seriously.

FAQ: Method of Undetermined Coefficients help

1. What is the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients is a method used in mathematics and physics to find the particular solution to a non-homogeneous linear differential equation. It involves assuming a particular form for the solution and then solving for the coefficients using the given equation.

2. When should I use the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients is most useful when the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation is a polynomial, exponential, sine, cosine, or a combination of these functions. It is not effective for equations with non-constant coefficients or non-polynomial non-homogeneous terms.

3. What are the steps involved in the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The first step is to identify the non-homogeneous term in the differential equation. Then, using the form of the particular solution, we plug it into the equation and solve for the coefficients. Next, we combine the particular solution with the complementary solution to get the general solution.

4. How do I choose the form of the particular solution?

The form of the particular solution depends on the type of non-homogeneous term in the differential equation. For example, if the non-homogeneous term is a polynomial of degree n, the particular solution will be of the form An^k, where A is a constant and k is the degree of the polynomial.

5. Are there any limitations to the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

Yes, the Method of Undetermined Coefficients can only be applied to linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also does not work for equations with non-constant coefficients or non-polynomial non-homogeneous terms. In these cases, other methods such as Variation of Parameters or Laplace Transform must be used.

Back