Trial solution, undetermined coefficients, 2nd order non-homogeneous equation

In summary, the method of undetermined coefficients is a way to find a particular solution to a differential equation by using a trial solution with undetermined coefficients. However, if the trial solution contains terms that are solutions of the homogeneous equation, those terms must be modified by multiplying them with x to ensure that no term in the particular solution is a solution of the homogeneous equation. This is because the derivative operator reduces the power of x by 1, and when acting on terms that are solutions of the homogeneous equation, it results in terms that cannot be combined to form the desired solution.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

Write a trial solution for the method of undetermined coefficients. Do not determine the coefficients.

For: [itex]y'' + 2y' + 10y = x^2e^{-x}\cos{3x}[/itex]

There's a modification performed and I'm not 100% confident as to why.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The complementary equation gives a solution of

[tex]y_c = e^{-x}\left(c_1\cos{3x} + c_2\sin{3x}\right)[/tex]

Now, before considering a modification to the particular solution [itex]y_p[/itex], let's consider the standard trial solution by the method of undetermined coefficients. I would say it's

[tex]y_p = e^{-x}\left[(Ax^2+Bx+C)\cos{3x} + (Dx^2+Ex+F)\sin{3x}\right][/tex]

Now I know that the modification is performed so that "no term in the particular solution can be a solution for the complementary equation"...I do know basically what this means...and I would have thought that for the particular trial solution above, that neither term would suitably solve the complementary equation. Because the particular solution has a polynomial of degree 2 and the complementary solution has a polynomial of degree 0.

So I've thought, maybe we could solve the complementary equation with the trial solution [itex]y_p[/itex] if we set A,B and/or D,E to = 0,0, so that the polynomials in the trial solutions were reduced from 2nd degree to 0 degree.

Is this why we need to modify [itex]y_p[/itex] by multiply it by x? Because we can set A,B,D,E to zero in order to solve for the complementary equation? Thus, it won't really matter what degree a polynomial is in the solutions as far as deciding to modify is concerned?

Physics news on Phys.org
As e-xcos(3x) is solution of the homogeneous (complementary) equation, you have to modify the particular solution by multiplying it with x.

Last edited:
ehild said:
As cos(3x) is solution of the homogeneous (complementary) equation, you have to modify the particular solution by multiplying it with x.

Yes I understand that, but in my particular solution I've already multiplied it by a polynomial of 2nd degree...why does it need to be brought up to a polynomial of 3rd degree?

You had to multiply with second order polynomials as there is the factor x2 in the inhomogeneous term. One more x to multiply with is because e-xcos(3x) is solution of the homogeneous equation. Try to find a solution with your method; you won't be able.
partsol.jpg

Last edited:
Denote the derivative operator by D. The operator D+r acting on a term of the form ##x^p e^{-rx}## yields
$$(D+r) (x^p e^{-rx}) = (p x^{p-1} e^{-rx} - r x^p e^{-rx}) + r x^p e^{-rx} = p x^{p-1} e^{-rx}.$$ The effect of the operator is basically to reduce the power of ##x## by 1 if ##p\ne 0##. If p=0, we have ##(D+r)e^{-rx} = 0##. In other words, ##e^{-rx}## is a solution of the homogeneous differential equation y' + ry = 0.

Now consider the differential equation ##(D+r)y = x^n e^{-rx}##. It has a homogeneous solution ##y_h = e^{-rx}##. From the result above, you should be able to see that in order to get a term like ##x^n e^{-rx}##, ##y## must contain a term of the form ##x^{n+1} e^{-rx}##. It doesn't matter that ##x^n e^{-rx}##, …, and ##x e^{-rx}## are independent from ##y_h##. When D+r acts on those terms, you end up with ##x^{n-1}e^{-rx}##, …, and ##e^{-rx}##, and there's no linear combination of them that is equal to ##x^n e^{-rx}##.

Last edited:
Likes kostoglotov

1. What is a trial solution for a 2nd order non-homogeneous equation?

A trial solution is a guess or assumption made about the form of the solution to a 2nd order non-homogeneous equation. It is used in the method of undetermined coefficients to find a particular solution to the equation.

2. How do you determine the coefficients in a trial solution?

The coefficients in a trial solution are determined by plugging the trial solution into the 2nd order non-homogeneous equation and solving for the unknown coefficients. This is done by equating each term in the trial solution to the corresponding term in the equation.

3. Can a trial solution be any function?

No, a trial solution must be a linear combination of terms that are already present in the non-homogeneous equation. This means that the trial solution must include all the terms that are present in the non-homogeneous equation, but the coefficients can be unknown variables.

4. What is the difference between homogeneous and non-homogeneous equations?

A homogeneous equation has a zero on the right-hand side, meaning that the solution must be a linear combination of the given terms. A non-homogeneous equation, on the other hand, has a non-zero term on the right-hand side, allowing for a particular solution to be added to the solution of the associated homogeneous equation.

5. Why is the method of undetermined coefficients used for 2nd order non-homogeneous equations?

The method of undetermined coefficients is used for 2nd order non-homogeneous equations because it is a systematic way of finding a particular solution. It is based on the principle that the particular solution should have the same form as the non-homogeneous terms in the equation, and the coefficients can be determined by equating the terms in the trial solution to the terms in the equation.